Sunday, November 12, 2023

Something About This Seems Ironic

Saturday was the first day of deer season here. We see deer quite often. Hick says one runs along on three legs, and must have broken a leg at some point, because it sticks out at an odd angle. Before so many people lived out here, Hick and his buddies would sit in tree stands and wait for a perfect shot. In fact, Buddy, of the Badly Blacktopped Hill caper, got mad at our next-door neighbor because he shot a deer headed across the field towards Buddy's tree stand. Shot it from his truck, heh, heh, on his way home. Not that it's legal to do that... but on your own property that you and your buddies have given each other permission to hunt on, what's the harm? He still used his deer tag and reported it.

Anyhoo... this Neighbor is the human dad of Copper Jack. He keeps Copper Jack tied up during deer season, partly because he's deer-colored, and perhaps because Neighbor doesn't like being followed by his dog when he's trying to hunt. Neighbor is a lifelong hunter. He eats what he kills. He's not just in it for sport. I heard him shooting his gun Friday evening. Must have been getting the sights set, because of the number of shots, all coming from the same place, across the fence from us, and not in the woods. He's not such a bad shot that it would require so many to take down a deer.

Anyhoo... hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset, but most hunters get out early in the morning. They may stay out all day, but Hick says deer are usually on the move early, or in the evening when they go to water before bedding down for the night.

As I was going up the driveway on my way to town Saturday around 2:00, a couple hours earlier than usual, I saw two deer in our across-the-road neighbors' horse field. They don't have horses any more, and leave the gate open. These were two big does, grazing, stopping to raise their heads and look at T-Hoe before grazing again. I hadn't heard any shooting all day. So I guess the deer action was in the yards, not down in the woods!

I'd say this was irony, but I'm still not exactly sure how to apply the concept of irony...

8 comments:

  1. I read that post and could find no evidence of irony. But, maybe I am dense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a reason I ended with "I'm still not exactly sure how to apply the concept of irony."

      Delete
  2. I would hate to have to shoot anything so I could eat. I'd rather buy meat from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh huh. Supermarket meat, coming from an animal that died in its sleep, of natural causes, in a feather bed, under a fluffy comforter, surrounded by its loved ones, after having lived a joy-filled life in Utopia, and leaving a note for its body to be used to feed you. ;)

      Delete
  3. I am thankful that HeWho is not a hunter. I would not want to eat his kills. He is not a good fisherman either, so I don't have to clean and gut fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick went threesies with two neighbors, on a big butcher saw thingy that he got a deal on at his factory. They all used it to process their deer, even though Hick himself never got a deer. They shared the meat, which was best as jerky that one of them made, and pretty good in the crockpot with BBQ sauce, like pulled pork.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It probably also had daily massages, making it extra tender!

      Delete