Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Dinner and a Tree

Tuesday was the Thanksgiving Dinner at the Senior Center. Hick was grousing about it the night before. Apparently, they did not consult him before choosing the menu.

"They ain't even havin' real turkey. [Never mind that Hick decided WE would have ham, because he likes it better than turkey.] It's pulled turkey. Like pulled pork. Only turkey. And there ain't no dressing. And instead of pumpkin pie, they're making pumpkin cake!"

When he got home after paying his $3 and eating this unsatisfactory meal, he was raving about the green beans.

"They had these green beans with ONIONS in them!"

"I put onions in my green beans."

"No! Not that kind. You know how you put bacon in your green beans? They put onions in theirs. Crunchy onions. I don't know what you call them."

"You mean like people put on top of their green bean casserole?"

"I don't know. Maybe. But this was just green beans. With crunchy onions in them."

"I'm pretty sure they didn't cook it that way. They probably put your green beans on the tray, then sprinkled some of the French Fried Onions on top. They come in a can."

"No. They was mixed in."

"Well, if they'd been cooked that way, the onions would not be crunchy."

"Anyway, them was good."

Hick sent me a picture between lunch and arriving home.


"I won this Christmas tree at bingo"

"That's a Charlie Brown tree!"

"Yep!"

We discussed it when he got home.

"Do they ever have bingo prizes that aren't used?"

"Yeah. Today they had a mitten. TWO of them! And something else."

I think Hick probably meant an oven mitt. Two. Not to say that they're exactly used, but more like re-gifted as a bingo prize. Anyhoo... I'm sure the elderlies like to win something. Hick certainly does! And if you look closely at his "new' Christmas tree, it has lights on it.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! Val... I think I bought one of those Charlie Brown Christmas trees last year. I had been looking for a smaller tree to put on a table in my living room. It looked really nice once I added all the Christmas ornaments to it and I was glad that I didn't have to add lights. I have a larger Christmas tree too but also wanted one to put on the table. I bet that tree sells fast:) I'm glad Hick was happy with his Thanksgiving green bean with onions lunch at the Senior Center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like that little tree was the Grand PriCe of the Thanksgiving holiday bingo. Not sure any of the residents who live upstairs would have wanted it. Hick will find a buyer! We have an artificial tree that is still set up in the basement.

      We used to get a live Scotch Pine for free every year from my grandma and uncle's Christmas tree farm. We put it up in the living room. Then Hick gradually phased that out. The Pony used to be in charge of taking down the artificial tree every year. I liked having on the lights while watching TV, and made him leave it up until Valentine's Day, then Easter, then one year he just "forgot" to take it down, and went off to college!

      Delete
  2. What exactly is a Charlie Brown tree? No-one used to leave her tree up all year and just change the decorations according to Easter Halloween or birthdays. I don't think she has one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the cartoon "A Charlie Brown Christmas." It's a sad little twig of a tree, with on a couple (bare) branches.

      Delete
  3. Well, one more tree for you. I am glad he won. No, onions in green beans are not crunchy. Maybe they served green bean casserole. "Mittens" is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to win SOMETHING than nothing! I asked if it was green bean casserole, and he acted like he never heard of such a thing, even though he saw it (and probably ate some) at my Mom's house for 26 Thanksgivings!

      Delete