Monday, June 13, 2022

Nothing Is Certain But Death and Taxes. And Jury Duty. (Part 2)

To re-emphasize... I have no objection to doing jury duty. It's not pleasant, but think of all the (anonymous) people-watching details, and possible tales of an actual trial. I just don't feel like I could physically withstand the rigors of such a responsibility now.

Anyhoo... I was quite depressed after my call to the NP's office Monday, and my treatment by the RUDEST WOMAN EVER TO ANSWER A PHONE. I had very slim hope of obtaining a doctor's excuse from jury duty. I planned to call back on Wednesday afternoon.

I tried to mentally psych myself up for enduring the jury process. How early I'd have to leave when I got the notice, in order to hobble from that parking lot behind the annex over to the courthouse itself. How to adjust my medication schedule. How to look pitiful so MAYBE somebody with a seat on one of the few marble benches would offer me a chance to sit while awaiting entrance to the courtroom. And asking if I could be seated on the end of a pew, not in the middle.
 
Wednesday, around 10:00 a.m., my cell phone rang. It was the lady from the NP's office. Only now, she was the NICEST WOMAN EVER TO CALL SOMEONE ON A PHONE! I have no idea what changed her attitude. Perhaps the NP's demeanor when he talked to her. After all, he seemed quite sympathetic to me during my follow-up visit after my Unfortunate HospitVALzation, as if he'd been concerned that the Grim Reaper would abscond with me, even commenting,
 
"When we saw your name on the admissions list, I said, 'I do NOT wish this for this lady!'"
 
My NP had approved the letter of excuse from jury duty! However...
 
"Do you want to pick it up, or have us send it to your OnlineChart?"
 
"Well. Picking it up would be as strenuous as walking to the courthouse. My husband drops me off and picks me up from my appointments. So please send it to my OnlineChart."
 
"All right. Give us about a half hour."
 
I gave them three hours. No need to rush. When I checked my OnlineChart, the letter was not there. So I called the office. Went through waiting for an available operator, asked for my office, got the NICEST WOMAN EVER TO CALL SOMEONE ON A PHONE.
 
"I am not seeing the letter. I didn't have my OnlineChart set up yet. But when I got in, I saw several letters for other results and notifications. Just not the jury letter."
 
"Oh. Well. I don't know if it will let me send it again. I've never had anybody without their account set up. Huh. It's not letting it go through..."
 
"So I should come and pick it up? I can see if my husband can bring me tomorrow. Should I come up to your office? Can anybody else pick it up for me?"
 
"Only if you've filled them in on your HIPPA information. You can come up here, and we'll print it, or you can go to the main desk downstairs, and they can print it for you."
 
"Okay. I'll see if he can bring me."
 
"If it's easier for you, just CALL ME WHEN YOU GET HERE, AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO BRING IT OUT TO YOUR CAR."
 
[What in the Not-Heaven got into that gal, I wonder!]
 
"I don't think that will be necessary, but thank you so much for offering to do that."
 
"I don't mind a bit. Just let me know."

"Thank you. I will."

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. I called Hick, who was in the middle of another nowhere, working on Back-Creek Neighbor Bev's new septic tank. He was on his way to drop off his old-man helper, and headed over to Bill-Paying Town where my NP's office is. So he said he'd go by and see if he could get my letter.

But then he called me back. "Bev says she smells gas, and hears a hiss, and I have to go back to look at her gas line. I might still be able to make it."

"That's okay. You can take me tomorrow. But wait! I'm getting another call. So I have to go."

Yes. It was the NP's office calling me back. The NICEST WOMAN TO EVER CALL SOMEONE ON A PHONE.

"I was able to get another copy of your jury letter, and they system let me send it to your OnlineChart. If it's not there, call me back."

"Thank you so much!"

Yes. It WAS there. I was able to access it, and upload it to my online jury questionnaire! 

Although it DID say something like I should be excused due to "mental or physical impairments." I'm sure he meant physical. Right?

On Thursday, I got a text AND an email from the court system, saying that I was excused.

I'm currently paying my bill to Even Steven with a microwave that died on Wednesday night, and T-Hoe out of commission with a heater hose that broke on Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I was holding my breath on this one hoping you weren't arrested for being a no-show. Once I wrote my own excuse: I pee constantly, and have a bad cough right now, but am willing to try.
    They excused me for the truth, without medical proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not arrested yet! It will have to be for something else!

      I can't believe you got off with your own excuse! They play hardball down here! There were three people waiting to talk to the judge when I did my jury duty years ago. Sitting off in a different section, holding their letters. All the people around me talked about them, thinking they were perpetrators there for trial. One lady said, "That man on the end is guilty. I can tell by looking at him!" Heh, heh. Good thing they didn't pick her for the jury.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you finally got that letter and was excused from jury duty. I hope Bev's gas line gets fixed before something blows up over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite relieved for my reprieve from jury duty!

      According to Hick, it was just a valve thingy that should or shouldn't have been closed. So he fixed it easily.

      Delete
  3. Glad the system works. Sorry about the dead appliance. No central air here, but the window unit is working unil the repairman can get to us.

    ReplyDelete