Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Hick Has It Covered

Once Hick retired, I thought he was no longer on call. I thought wrong. Remember how Hick has been doing work on the new used house of Back-Creek Neighbors Bev and Nick? And how he saved them from a propane explosion by fixing something the gas man should have done, and made their toilet work by fixing something the septic tank man should have done?
 
Saturday evening, before leaving for the auction, Hick got a phone call. Of course I was nosy. I'm a wife. It's my job.
 
"Who was that?"
 
"That crazy Nick. You know how my buddy and I fixed the pipe going into his septic tank? How we cut out some roots, and put PVC pipe on the end of the cast-iron pipe? Well. Nick said he was "fixing" it by chopping out some more of the roots with an axe. And he broke it."
 
"The AXE? Was it yours?"
 
"No. It was his axe, but that's not what he broke. He broke the PIPE. So now we have to go do it again. I TOLD him before we left that all it needed was concrete poured on it. Some of the dry mix that sets up fast. But goofy Nick had to go chopping around and break the pipe. He said he was going to Lowe's to buy some more. I told him we have some out there. To just WAIT for us to fix it again. This is why we cain't get nothin' done."
 
"You ARE being paid by the hour. More money for you."
 
"It's just annoying to get a job done, then have to do it over."
 
Heh, heh. Hick has just gotten a glimpse into VAL's world! Like when I clean the toilet, or finish the dishes, and then Hick shows up and I have to do it all over again within hours. At least Hick is getting paid for his efforts...

6 comments:

  1. When I clean the bathrooms, I won't allow them to be used for at least 2 hours. Redoing a job is annoying. I suppose I could cover the toilet with a towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A towel could work. So might that yellow crime scene tape!

      Delete
  2. That would be annoying and I can imagine the words my dad might have said, only to the offender not at home where I might be listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick was to the point of actually throwing up his hands, but he didn't use his rassen-frassen words. He expects everyone to have as much mechanical knowledge as he does. Notice I didn't say "common sense."

      Delete
  3. Maybe Nick sould just leave things alone? I have started grabbing the broom and dustpan every time HeWho comes in with his shoes on. I was thinking he would notice my efforts and take his shoes off on the big screened in porch before entering. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would mean less money for Hick, I suppose! But Hick WANTS to complete jobs, so he can move on to something else.

      In their minds, houses are for tromping through fully shod! And then proclaiming, if you protest, "I guess you should vacuum [or sweep] more often."

      Delete