Friday, October 29, 2021

Val Is Public-Enemy-ing Again

Lock up your valuables! Val is on the loose!

Tuesday I went in the Liquor Store to cash in some scratchers and get more. I had $25 in winners, and bought $25 in new tickets. Of that, $8 were earmarked for The Pony, from his own winnings.

The gal scanned my winners, and printed out the receipt tickets they need to justify their cash drawer. She scanned my new tickets and rang them up. Then she pushed the stack to me across the counter. 

"Okay. We're even?"

"Yes."

"Thanks."

"Thank you, and have a nice day. Good luck."

"Thanks."

Off I went, out the front door, along the front of the building to T-Hoe. I walked past three empty parking spaces, and I was there. I reached my hand out to steady myself as I stepped over the yellow parking tire-bumper thingy.

"Ma'am? MA'AM?"

I turned around. It was the cashier gal.

"Could I have those tickets back? I did something wrong, and I need to scan them again."

"Sure. No problem."

I held them out to her, and she rushed back into the store as I hobbled after her. I think she had entered something as draw tickets instead of scratchers, since I'd bought two of the Cash4Life draw tickets for The Pony. She got her register updated, and pushed the tickets back to me.

"Thank you. I'm glad I caught you. I need to learn to do my job right!"

"That's okay. I'm not in any hurry. I don't have anywhere to go."

Well. To the Gas Station Chicken Store for my magical elixir, but no need to share with her that I was headed to a competitor.

Val the troublemaker, trying to abscond with illegally rung-up lottery tickets. I hope my bank doesn't get wind of this.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No. I'm pretty sure they shy away from that, because I swear this Liquor Store is actually a front for something else. I rarely see people buying liquor there. Their drive-thru always has a long line, and nobody comes over to pick up a bottle to put out the window. They DO sell some vape products, and something mysterious that some customers have been overheard to say they will "come back for later." It's like a 1970s head shop!

      However... that gal must have called ahead to my bank to warn them about Val the Public Enemy, because two days later, the teller told me she could not redeem my Series EE Savings Bonds, even though she had done so the previous week!

      Delete
  2. You can't be absconding with illegally rung up tickets when you don't know they have been rung up wrong. I'm glad the girl realised and came after you though, you might have had winners that couldn't be cashed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEK! That is terrifying! I did not consider that outcome.

      Delete