Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Tranquility Before the Tempest?

Regular readers probably remember that Val has a faux-criminal past. She's been treated as Public Enemy #1-3 over the past several years. Most often the finger being pointed by HER VERY OWN BANK where she has done business for 30 years. The most notable incident being the deposit of a check from her credit union to withdraw cash to buy Hick House for $5000, when the teller called the wrong verification number and commenced phone-whispering to a superior right in front of Val, concerning the attempted deposit of an invalid check.

Tuesday, I was still suffering PTSD from this deposit debacle when I stopped by my credit union to withdraw a check for Pony House expenses. The folks at my credit union were quite polite, even if I did have to go through the same explanation twice, once over the phone, and again at the window. I suppose saying, "I am Val Thevictorian. I called earlier about doing this and this with my account," is not enough of a hint for the gal to turn to the only two other workers and ask if one had talked to me on the phone.

As it was, she went across the open office to get authorization, and the authorizing party talked her through the bits and pieces she had already told me on the phone. Once I had that check in my hand, ready to take to the bank for deposit, I said,

"My bank will probably call in a few minutes to authorize this check. Last time they thought I was trying to deposit a counterfeit check! They tried to tell me the funds weren't authorized by this credit union."

"What? Why would they do that?"

"The gal called the number on the check, rather than your local number, even though I TOLD HER that it just came from down the road. I guess she called a St. Louis number, and they said they had NOT issued that check."

"Give me your check back! What number? There shouldn't be a different number on the check."

Great. Now my CREDIT UNION thought I was a liar! I gave her the check, and she took it back to the authorizer's desk, telling my tale. I could hear them discussing it. Huh. Such a mystery. That number (still there) shouldn't be on the checks! They hadn't used that institution for a long time! Huh. Why was it still there? 

Seriously. I can't believe nobody has noticed this number on their checks they print out. IT HAS BEEN 2 YEARS, 9 MONTHS SINCE I HAD THAT INCIDENT AT MY BANK! All this time, my credit union has been handing out checks with an invalid phone number on them!

Anyhoo... the credit union gal gave me their business card, and said, "Here. Make sure they call our local number if they want to verify the check. NOT that other number printed on it."

Of course when I got to my bank right down the road, the lobby was already closed! So I went to the drive-thru. I put in my deposit slip, endorsed check, and the business card of the credit union, and sent in the canister through the tube. 

Of course I got no greeting from the teller. I was waiting until I knew someone was listening, such as AFTER A GREETING, to tell them to use the phone number on the credit union business card for verification of the check. Next thing I knew, the tube was humming with the return canister, and the teller was saying, "Thank you, have a good day."

Well. That was a bit dismissive. She didn't even say there would be a 10-day hold on the check, as they SO love to do with our deposits. Huh. I guess everything went okay. 

Once I got home, I was still pondering the ease of the deposit. WHAT IF they called for verification after I'd driven off, and used the wrong number, and they're going to put a security hold on my account, or try to charge me for an invalid check???

I guess I'll find out... maybe this is just the calm before the storm.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree, but I can't mail cash to the credit card company to pay for the Pony House bathtub and showers and toilets and sink. The Tree Trimmer Guy will have his pay handed to him by Hick, in the form of Benjamins.

      Delete
  2. Soothingly: sit down, take deep breaths and calm down. It's going to be okay. Even if I first have to personally go in there and smack someone upside the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also tilting my head side-to-side, cracking my neck. Hick used the debit card today to buy a caulking gun for the Pony House bathroom work, with no issues. So the bank account is still operating as normal!

      I can't believe nobody noticed the wrong phone number on those issued checks all this time. Even thought they now know, that doesn't mean they'll fix it! Surely it's something in the computer programming, since they print out their own checks.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like the nursing home attendants who hung the hall photos upside doan and nobody noticed or corrected. Hey as long as you have scratcher cash...right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing my scratcher money has absolutely nothing to do with the credit union or this bank! You don't mess with Val's scratchers!

      Delete