Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Another Victim of Downsizing

I made a mind-blowing discovery Monday night. It had nothing to do with world geography. 
 
Hick, the thoughtful do-gooding ever-giver, made a purchase at the auction a couple months ago that was JUST FOR ME! That's what he said, anyway. Maybe around the time he bought the 12 bottles of Sparkling Grape Juice for $8.00, but I'm pretty sure it was before.
 
It was back when I still had the homemade chocolate-covered cherries that my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel gives me for Christmas. I remember that, because the auction gift Hick bought me for $2 was three boxes of Queen Anne Cordial Cherries. You know Queen Anne Cordial Cherries. They're the cheapest chocolate-covered cherries you can find. They used to cost $1.00 per box of 12. 
 
I haven't shopped for them lately. Nor did I before, because they're not really something I find delectable. I only know the cost, because that's what the boys used to give me for a gift when they were young. I'd give them money for the "school store" around Christmas time, and that's what they got me.

Anyhoo... here's the discovery:


NOW there are only 10 cherries per box! Look how they re-did that little plastic tray. That probably cost more than they're making by leaving out two cherries per box!

The picture didn't turn out very well, but I was in such a hurry to get out one of the cherries I don't really like that I didn't want to take the time for another photo.

AND my treat isn't even expired! They're good until January 2022. I'm pretty sure they're not going to be around that long. I'm also pretty sure the store price didn't go down when the number of cherries was reduced by 1/6.

6 comments:

  1. Well, its hard to make smaller cherries, so reducing the quantity is the way to go. Deflation to defeat inflation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a point. However... I would rather eat 12 smaller cherries than 10 of this size. I don't eat them by the ounce. I have one a day, and that would last me two more days.

      If I LIKED them, I would eat more than one a day!

      Delete
  2. Probably less squares on a roll of toilet tissue as well! They get you coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's right. Nobody is unrolling it and keeping count of how many squares are on a roll.

      Delete
  3. My Dad's favourite treat! Cherry Liqueurs, with dark chocolate. I like them too, but rarely buy them. My local Foodland store has bags of them on special around Christmas time and last year I bought two bags. They lasted until just after new Year.
    So nice of Hick to think of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were milk chocolate. I DO prefer the dark chocolate cherries. It was indeed nice of Hick to think of me. Even better, he spent HIS OWN MONEY on me!

      Delete