Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Nothing Like a Feel-Good Story to Make Val Feel Bad

Saturday, I came across a news story that grabbed my attention.
 
Oklahoma Goodwill Employee Finds $42,000 In Donated Sweater
 
Of course I had to read it! We used to travel to Oklahoma on a regular basis, to visit The Pony at the University of Oklahoma. I knew Hick would want to hear ANY news about Goodwill finds. And who's not curious about finding $42,000? It was obviously a story made for me.
 
Here's a link. In case it quits working, here's the gist of the story:

A 26-year-old woman had been working at this Goodwill Store in Norman, Oklahoma (home of OU, where we visited The Pony) for about six weeks, when she found something wrapped between two sweaters. She first thought it was books, but upon unwrapping, saw that it was envelopes filled with $100 bills. $42,000 worth of $100 bills!

The gal turned in the money, because she believes in karma, and didn't want to risk stealing, since she has a 6-year-old daughter to take care of. There were documents with the money that led to the owner. The money-owner asked for $1000 to be held out, and given to the gal as a reward for her integrity. There's a video that will make you cry!

Anyhoo... I told Hick, and he watched the video. He's been in this Goodwill every time we went to Norman. Later, I went back and read the comments on the story, and I was SHOCKED! The majority of people who commented said they would have taken the money, and that this gal was stupid for turning it in.
_________________________________________________________________

Such comments as:

"Goodwill employee? Idiot!"

"That's when you leave your job and don't say anything."

"The right thing to do after finding this large sum of money that doesn't belong to you is to go on a shopping spree."

"The owner only gave her $1000? Seems like a reward for returning that much money would be higher."

"Hopefully there was $50,000 tucked away. Take a little give a little."

"I would've kept it."

"If I knew him I would have just unfriended that guy."
________________________________________________________________

Sure. Maybe they thought they were being funny. But out of 44 comments, I didn't see ONE that said this gal did the right thing, and they would have done the same.

What's wrong with the world these days?

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Do unto others for your own personal benefit before they catch you!

      Delete
  2. Nothing good would come from keeping the money. Either an old person who needed it and made a mistake or a drug dealer who would track you down. She did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have handed it in, but after much speculation about what I could do with that amount.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would Val do? That is the question. My friend bought a jacket for her teen son and found a vial of weed in the pocket. Bet that kid's mom tossed his jacket in the donate pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way would I keep $42,000! Even if there had been no identifying documents with it. Even if it meant corporate Goodwill would be $42,000 richer.

      Val is not a thief. Unless maybe scheming to grab a penny from the feet of a guy who just dropped it.

      Not sure how I'd handle a vial of found weed, but I'd turn it in for sure if it was $42,000 worth!

      Delete
    2. I might just keep the weed, but I'd have to find a young person to show me how to roll a joint.

      Delete
    3. Good luck finding one who cares about helping people!

      Delete