Thursday, March 11, 2021

That's a Hick of a Thing to Say

Friday night, after the influx of 96 new egg rolls, and 10 cans of partially-expired soup... 
I tried to determine what Hick wanted me to cook next from his FREE frozen hoard.

"We'll have tonight's pizza left for tomorrow, so you can warm that for yourself before you go to the auction. But what do you want me to make for Sunday?"

"I don't know, Val. Anything is fine with me."

"I don't even know what's in the freezer anymore! I can't see it. The Pony and I had it sorted, with the most-expired stuff on top. You want to save the individually-wrapped pork chops, because you want to do them on the grill. I don't want to cook that whole pork loin yet. All I can remember is the sausage patties, crumble sausage, hot dogs, and bacon. I know there's other stuff in there, but you put in those three auction pizzas, so they're in a layer under the newest set of egg rolls, and above the old set of egg rolls. It's hard to tell what's there."

"No. All you have to do is lift it and look under it."

"I have to unload half the freezer, and lay stuff on the floor! There's nowhere to put it while I'm digging! We had it where I could see stuff, and then you brought home more after I told you to stop."

"I cleaned out that whole freezer!"

"I know. You and The Pony. It was full because I couldn't see what was in there to cook. Now it's like that again. I'm trying to use all the stuff, but you are making it harder."

"Anything is fine with me."

"That's all you ever say. Why don't YOU go pick something out? And I'll cook it."

"I don't know why you can't ever do anything!"

"Oh. So it's too much trouble FOR YOU to dig through the freezer and pick something to cook. But it's fine for ME. How about I pick it out, and YOU make sure it gets thawed without food poisoning, then plan a meal around it, then cook it, then clean up the dishes by rushing to get hot water before The Pony uses it all in his nightly 6:30 bath, and then eat your own food that is cold?"

"Just forget it."

"And not use all your FREE food? You need to pick out something before you leave for the auction Saturday evening. Put it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. I'll cook it Sunday."

NO ANSWER!

Anyhoo... when I came up from my lair late Saturday/early Sunday, I saw a package of chicken breasts thawing on the bottom shelf. I didn't even know we had them! I'd already cooked one package, which only contained two breasts. How normal is THAT? Anyhoo... this package had FIVE.

We had the chicken, baked with lemon pepper for us, and Shake N Bake for the picky Pony. Sides were Stove Top Stuffing (The Pony's choice), and a can of FREE corn. I wish I knew where to buy that corn. It was plump and tasty, like it had just been sliced off the cob. Not mushy and flat like other canned corn. Unfortunately, it was some kind of store brand that I did not recognize. Oh, and I made Hick a slice of Texas Toast, that The Pony had bought in loaf form. I grilled it in a skillet, and it came out restaurant-worthy. The Pony made his own, and used it to make a sandwich of the Shake N Bake chicken.

Hick had to do without the Texas Toast on Monday night. I declare myself off-duty with leftovers! Even Hick can microwave a piece of chicken, and some stuffing and corn.

I asked Hick what he was planning for our next meal, and he said he was taking HOS's (Hick's Oldest Son's) boy out to have CiCi's Pizza.

I'm thinking this lesson was not a success...

8 comments:

  1. I ca so relate to food getting covered up in the freezer. I cannot find chicken that won't cause a landslide when I get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should give up asking and just dig blindfolded into the freezer and cook whatever comes out, with whatever spices, sides etc each of you prefers. The first one to complain gets the job of doing the same for the next meal. The finding and cooking that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make a good show on the Food Network!

      Delete
  3. We have a similar issue in our freezer...except ours is not free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew a freezer full of FREE food could be so stressful? Not this old Val!

      Delete
  4. I have some of that free food, too. It is nasty, chicken patties. Tastes like cardboard. The frozen stuff doesn't stress me, it is the fresh fruit and veggies as I try to use them before they spoil. We have eaten some strange combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the dogs didn't want that one bag of chicken sausage patties. There's one kind of crispy chicken patty that's delicious. The Pony unearthed a partial bag of them yesterday, when mining the mini freezer for a pack of hot dogs for Hick. I think we only have 6 or 7 packs of hot dogs left!

      Delete