Friday, March 12, 2021

Another Present From the Gifty Gifty Giver

Such a treat from the never-ending source of blogworthy tales! I don't even have to ask Hick about his day. He just spouts off the interactions he has that are not something a "normal' person would experience. 
 
Due to heavy rain all morning Thursday, Hick was lounging around at home when I got back from town, using up oxygen and the living room TV.

"I barely made it home! The creek rose over two feet in the hour I was gone. The little one down here below the neighbor Jack bit is about a foot over. But T-Hoe made it across. Your mechanic buddy has a lake in front of his shop. That road is a mess."

"I took my truck to get the windshield put in. I got there early, and was waiting for my time when Mick (the Mechanic) went rushing by, with another guy behind him. Mick looked mad. He didn't say a thing to me. In a few minutes he went by again, carrying a shotgun. He said, 'You know you're coming with me!'"

"To YOU???"

"Nah. To the guy who was following him. A truck got stolen there last night."

"One waiting to get worked on? Or one that was finished?"

"A truck he finished yesterday."

"Well, then. I imagine the owner came and got it. Maybe to avoid paying."

"No. That's the first person he called when he saw that it was gone. To see if the guy picked it up. He said he didn't."
 
"SURE he didn't! But a friend of a friend of a friend might have! You know how that goes, with overdue payments and insurance claims."
 
"Well, maybe. But I don't think so. Mick thought he'd found the stolen truck, and was going to get it back. But that wasn't the truck. I told him when he came back, 'I was worried you was gonna do something stupid that you'd regret. You don't want to be that person who takes things too far.' He said he thought about that, but he was mad that somebody stole from him."

"Think about it. WHY would a car thief steal something off the lot of a repair shop? He doesn't know if it will run or not. I sure wouldn't want to sneak up there, planning to steal, and get in one that won't run!"

"They probably loaded it on a trailer."

"Seriously? Car thieves around here pull trailers to steal trucks? Doesn't that make it harder to outrun the cops? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard! Why would you steal it if it won't run?"

"Probably for parts."

"I don't think they're that organized here. You better check our other 10 acres when the water goes down. It could be parked up there!"

"Yeah. I never thought the first one would be there!"

"I guess Mick has insurance to cover it."

"I don't know. Maybe not. When I worked at the station, we had a truck parked inside the garage, with the building locked up, AND the truck locked. It got stolen. The insurance wouldn't pay. They said we had it protected like it should be. But if we'd left it out on the lot and it was stolen, they'd pay."

"That's crazy!"

"That's insurance for you. They always try to find a way to get out of paying."

Said the Hick who bullied them into paying his going rate for a new truck windshield...

8 comments:

  1. That's ridiculous about insurance not paying for something stolen when it was properly locked away. If it was left out in the open for just anyone to steal, that's negligence on your part and THEN I would expect insurance to say no pay.
    Anyway I hope the truck gets found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the insurance companies write their policies with loopholes to avoid payouts!

      A locked vehicle parked out in the open should not even be considered "left there to steal!" What are people supposed to do, put a "boot" on one of the wheels? What is the world coming to when a car repair shop has to build a special garage to keep all the cars in?

      I'm sure Hick will find out more details the next time he stops by Mick's place.

      Delete
  2. "Umm, on second thought it was left in the lot...yeah, that's the story! We did leave it in the lot, not the locked garage."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. That might have worked. It was back in the days before a surveillance camera on every corner.

      Delete
  3. Hmm I think the truck has been repainted and is tooling around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nobody stole it from the re-paint shop!

      Delete
  4. Insurance will always find a loophole that will render a claim useless. They pay people to look for a way not to pay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And other people to write that into the fine print.

      Delete