Monday, December 21, 2020

Internet Santa Has Some 'Splainin' to Do

Genius is not coming home for Christmas this year. Pennsylvania is not down with the travel thing. I have been internet-buying, and having his gifts sent directly to his apartment. What could possibly go wrong? 
 
Genius has a doorman or concierge or some dude whose job it is to accept packages for the apartment-dwellers, and hold them at the desk until they get home from work. Heh, heh! The joke is on THAT GUY, because Genius has been working from home for many months now, and goes down to check his mail when it's convenient for him.
 
Last year, I had a couple items sent directly to Genius, because he was leaving from here on a ski trip the day after Christmas, with a return flight from skiing, to Pittsburgh. He couldn't be schlepping his Christmas gifts across the country in his overhead carry-on. 
 
There was a bit of confusion, since Genius didn't know if it was a package HE had ordered, or one I had sent. So this year, I told him I'd put his name on the address with the middle initial of C, for Christmas. That's not his real initial. It has been working out great, since he knows that's something to wait to open.

Yes, everything had been working out just fine. Until I got a text from Genius on Saturday:

"I wonder what this could be lol"

 
"Dang them all to heck! I guess you can open that one early."

I guess he's lucky I didn't send him anything embarrassing...

16 comments:

  1. From the size of the box, I'll bet that it is a smokeless grill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be one of those psychos--I mean PSYCHICS!

      Delete
  2. No brown wrapping paper? No surprise there.
    Hope you get everything you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a pity that I have a lot of brown wrapping paper, which was stuffed in packages I had delivered here. And I use the term "here" loosely.

      I don't wish for much. A roaster pan with a rack. Maybe some scratchers. That's it. I figure Hick will at least get me the scratchers.

      Delete
  3. I guess gift wrapping is an extra charge. It's a great gift though, probably my boys would love one of these. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't ask for gift wrapping, because I assumed it would be shipped in a normal generic brown cardboard box. If it was gift wrapped, they would have needed to put it inside a bigger plain brown box, to protect the gift wrapping.

      Genius loves to cook, as evidenced by his Thanksgiving plate. I figured he could use this inside his apartment (it's SMOKELESS!), or on his balcony.

      Delete
  4. Obviously that shipper had never heard of Santa Claus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shipper might be called "Grinch, Inc."

      Delete
  5. I am still trying to figure out what the picture is. I cannot read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smokeless grill. It had great reviews about not being smoky. So he can use it in his apartment.

      Delete
  6. One would assume it was a gift, given the time of year and ship accordingly. Perhaps you expect too much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps. I don't see a problem with putting that cardboard box inside another cardboard box! It's no worse than using a big box stuffed with blown-up plastic tubey things to hold one small item in place.

      Delete
  7. I had that happen also. I ordered a gift for my daughter and it came with a picture of the popcorn machine. Of course, she was home to get the package off the porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I spend most of my life seeing the glass as half-empty, I am seeing your predicament as a glass 3/4 full. I'm not shouting at YOU, but at my delivery people:

      AT LEAST YOU GOT YOUR PACKAGE ON YOUR OWN PORCH!

      I do hate for a surprise to be revealed early, though.

      Delete
  8. Amazon has an option when you check out that lets you specify if an item is a gift if it regularly ships with the contents displayed. This isn't gift wrap (that costs extra) but instead they will put the item in a plain box. I wish other companies offered this because I have most things shipped to my parents house since they are almost always home when my stuff is delivered and it doesn't have to sit on my front porch until I get home.

    ReplyDelete