Monday, December 7, 2020

This Is How We Roll

Sunday afternoon, I rolled my cart/walker out of Country Mart, virtually skipping with glee, a handful of scratchers clutched in my hand. I only had one bag of groceries, and a self-handled 20-pack of assorted individual bags of potato chips. They were easily carryable. But why carry when you can roll them in your cart/walker? I had grabbed that cart from the parking lot to take it in. I was only returning it to where I got it.
 
My purchases were a large bag of shredded lettuce, a birthday card for Genius, a bag of Fruit and Nut Trail Mix, and a bag of Gardetto's Original Recipe Snack Mix for Hick. Maybe. I knew that stuff when it was just called Snack 'Ens! Used to get it out of the vending machine in the school cafeteria in the 90s.

Anyhoo... we just need odds and ends of groceries these days. We're feasting on the Ponytail Guy's meat almost every night. Plus we have his potatoes, carrots, onions, oranges, apples, liquid eggs, blocks of cheddar and mozzarella, sliced American cheese, and yogurt. Not to mention the spaghetti, sauce, and the cans of beanie weenies we haven't tried yet.

Yes, I was in a good mood, having serviced myself at the lottery vending machine, rather than have a surly clerk grudgingly dole out my tickets. As I rolled nearer to T-Hoe, I was slapped in the face with reality.

I WAS NOT LIVING IN THE UTOPIA I HAD IMAGINED!
 
The land was not flowing with Diet Coke and Little Debbie Cakes. I was right there in downtown Backroads, where this is how we roll.


NO! It was NOT HICK! Just a random denizen, perhaps off to seek his fortune, hopefully without reaping the grapes of wrath. 
 
I showed the photo to The Pony, who said, "I'm not sure why you'd think this is picture-worthy."

And to Hick, who said, "Oh, somebody's junkin'."

Not that there's anything wrong with that. There's money in junkin', and it's honest work, if you're not stealing your junk.

That's 3 refrigerators, and two mattresses. Not sure where they'd be heading on a Sunday afternoon. Hope they didn't buy any groceries that need refrigeration!


10 comments:

  1. Is there a grandmother in a rocking chair on top? Your know Grapes of Wrath, Beverly Hillbillies style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Maybe they were picking her up at their next stop.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps someone is just moving house? I certainly hope they don't plan on dumping that load somewhere along the back roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they're moving. Though I don't know anyone with three refrigerators. WAIT A MINUTE! I think WE have three refrigerators! The Original FRIG, and his predecessor, are in the BARn.

      I'm pretty sure we've had a refrigerator dumped on our gravel road. It's not quite as memorable as the portable meth lab that kept me from getting home for an hour, due to the investigation.

      Delete
  3. I did roll with a cart/walker until I rolled with an electric cart. People must be getting new refrigerators for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who goes in the store with my KNOWS that I claim the cart/walker. On the rare instances Hick accompanies me, he tries to sidle up and steal it, but I grab it back. He doesn't want it to lean on. Just to be in control.

      Heh, heh! It's the Used Refrigerator Santa!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Missouri provides a valuable service, allowing the high-horse sitters to re-calibrate their snoot-view, for looking down their noses upon their inferiors. Otherwise, they might start to believe that all human beings have the same intrinsic worth, no matter which of the 50 states they reside in.

      Every time Missouri makes the news, Florida, afraid of being shouldered out of the headlines, says, "Hold my beer..."

      Delete
  5. As a Jersey dirty water cocktail drinker, I've got nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you're too busy trying to get a buzz off your dirty-water cocktail! So trusting, you Jerseyites, thinking the alcohol you paid for is actually in your drink...

      Delete