Tuesday, January 29, 2019

No! More Mr. Nice Guy!

You'd think Hick was campaigning for dogcatcher! I might need to call the CDC, because a mysterious fever might be percolating in Hick's innards. His nicety lately knows no bounds.

Monday afternoon, the weather took a turn for the cold, dropping from the upper 40s into the 20s. That drove Hick back home, when his Storage Unit Store, where he was sorting fishing plugs, became too drafty. He puttered around fixing the motor that runs the triangular jetted bathtub, and watched 90 percent of Coyote Ugly. Then he headed to the BARn to putter around. I heard him return near 3:30, and kick back the La-Z-Boy.

Then I heard him TALKING! Without hearing his phone ring. Sure, he could have called someone. But he was over by the front door. At first, I thought he was talking to the dogs, while checking the weather. That's how we do it here. Fling open the front door, and stick a nose out. Hick seemed too cheery to be talking to the dogs. He's kind of gruff with them. Sometimes, he'll say, "Here ya go, Stupid."

I'm never quite sure if he means my Sweet, Sweet Juno, or (formerly known as Puppy) Jack. Hick blames Jack for everything. Even a pile of poop found on the side porch last week. I'm sure it was that darn black cat, the Garage Pooper. It looked exactly the same. And Jack runs around all the time. No way is he porchbound, too lazy to poop in the woods. Whereas that black cat is ALWAYS on the porch, now that his garage access has been denied.

Anyhoo... Hick sounded downright friendly. We weren't expecting anyone. If it was one of Hick's associates, they would have hopped on the Gator and headed to his Freight Container Garage, or the BARn. There's heat in both of them, plus unnamed treasures to dig through. But Hick doesn't sound all sweet with his cronies. I resisted the urge to go see what was happening. That would have required me to rise off my ample rumpus.

Hick just happened to come downstairs. I hollered for him, but he ignored me until the third try. I wanted to show him a used truck I'd found at a local dealer. While looking at it on New Delly's screen, Hick revealed that some neighbor kids had come to the door.

"It's them kids that live up on the hill. The ones who use the Bus Stop that HOS built. They were selling those cards for a fundraiser. You know, the kind with discounts. I figured if they were eager enough to come knock on the door, I'd buy one from them. It was $15."

"Oh, so now we'll owe you the $15 back?"

"No. I bought it with my money."

Aww... what a soft touch Hick is! Of course, I bought fundraiser stuff from students who asked me, but I didn't use MY OWN MONEY! I used our household money. Because we all shared in whatever I bought. Maybe Hick isn't going to share with me!

Later, when I went upstairs to make supper, I asked what businesses were on the card. Sometimes, they're actually a good deal, if it's places you go to anyway. Sometimes, you can use them for discounts for a whole calendar year.

"I don't remember exactly. I know Pizza Hut was one of them. Maybe Sonic."

"Do you have it with you? Let me look."

"Oh. I don't have a CARD. They just showed me one. They said they'd bring me one tomorrow."

I really hope Hick didn't get scammed by some kids. Oh, he could afford it. And would probably have handed them $15 if they'd asked for a donation. But if he doesn't get his saver card, his feelings will be hurt.

10 comments:

  1. We have purchased those cards, but from neighborhood boys or friends. Generally they are good deals, limited to just a few we actually use.

    You can do it, Hick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have always gotten more value from them than the money used to buy them.

      Delete
  2. I expect they will bring a card...and it probably will not be used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the feeling that he'll get his card!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick was home waiting for his card at the time those kids get home from school. He saw them walk up the road, bypassing our house. He said he didn't see the little one that had sold it to him, just the older siblings.

      Delete
  4. I do hope they bring the card, but why go out in the cold to sell them and not carry enough to leave with the purchaser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick said he THOUGHT they said they'd bring it "tomorrow." If that one kid didn't go to school the next day, maybe that's why Hick didn't get his card. Maybe the actual cards haven't been given to the students yet.

      Hick said he saw our neighbor's name ahead of him on the list. He won't be alone if cards aren't being delivered! I hope they don't organize a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches!

      Delete
  5. I hate being ripped off and it seems they start at an early age! My son's 13 year old daughter took her other Gramma's phone and hacked into her pay pal account and bought herself $2600 worth of stuff no one would ever need. Including a $1200 pair of sneakers! My daughter-in-law has custody, so no consequence was involved, they just scolded her and sent the merchandise back. I told me son it was good she didn't try that on me, I would have called the cops and had them scare the child. A few hours in a cell might be a good thing! I believe in discipline and tough love. At 13, I fear for the future for this one. But, my DIL doesn't believe in punishing her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I hope somebody can set some limits for her, before she gets in too deep! Kids that age need to experience consequences. They think they're untouchable.

      Delete