Saturday, January 26, 2019

The Strange Case of the Boomer Coming After the MillPENNYal

I found him on a Wednesday and my heart stood still, my new pen-pen-pen, my new pen-pen! Uh huh. Only a single penny this week. But that's better than zero pennies! Because my pennyscape has been bleak of late, I must say, I was quite excited to make this discovery, waiting two customers deep, over by the chicken counter.

Okay. My heart didn't really stand still. It thump-thumped with excitement. I was like an older, smarter, fatter, less-male, non-arm-waving Horshack. With more fear. Fear that somebody else might snatch that coin before I was waited on. Only one dude ahead of me. A Millennial Dude, wearing jeans, no socks, and thongs on his feet!

That's right! These young whippersnappers can't fool ME! Those shoes are called THONGS, by cracky! NOT flip-flops! Why use two words when one will suffice? Call your g-string by its proper name, and leave us Boomers with our thongs! Don't even make a pretense of that early-oughts lingo of SLIDES, worn with socks! No. Those shoes are THONGS! Not even proper thongs, either. They're weirdo thongs, without the torture device that belongs between your big toe and the little piggy who stayed home.

And here was this Millennial Dude, thankfully oblivious to Old Abe under his navy blue improper thong. That Millennial Dude would have made a terrible princess, probably unable to feel a pea through a single silk sheet. But that's good! Because it meant my penny wasn't getting snatched up by him.


I can't even complain about this 2016 Abe being face-down.


The HORROR of laying there, helpless, unable to move, while watching a dude's bare foot in a generic navy blue thong descend over your face would be equivalent to the HORROR of Genevieve Bujold's character being a surgery patient in Robin Cook's COMA, after a dose of succinylcholine, watching that breathing mask descending over her mouth and nose. Have I mentioned that I hate feet?

Once Millennial Dude finished paying for his purchases with his plastic money, I got my picture and my penny. I refrained from taking a picture of Millennial Dude's thong suffocating my rightful penny. I respected his privacy. Who wants a picture of their bare foot on the innernets wearing a generic navy blue thong?

Sometimes, becoming a Future Pennyillionaire is really hard work.
__________________________________________________________________

2019 Running Total
Penny   # 10.
Dime   still at 1.
Nickel  still at 2
Quarter  still at 1

2018 TOTALS
Penny  131
Dime  17
Nickel  6
Quarter  1

2017 TOTALS (Started in March, 2017)
Penny  78
Dime   6
Nickel  0
Quarter  0
___________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

  1. Those millennial and their global warming, making a point going sock-less in the winter.

    No fear a Millennial picking up a penny, maybe a quarter, but not a penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their behavior triggers me into a blog rant. I agree that they wouldn't pick up a penny. Not unless they dropped their phone on it, and the penny accidentally got caught in their grasp.

      Delete
  2. It's hard, but nobody ever said that life was easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS good to have a goal in life, even if that goal is becoming a Pennyillionaire.

      Delete
  3. Well, darn it all! I was hoping for a picture of the navy blue thong. We call them thongs out here too, always have. I prefer the thicker ones with the cotton webbing strap and the bit that goes between the toes also being cotton webbing. The all rubber ones irritate the tender between toe area too much. Sadly I only have one thong left, after the toe strap broke on one, the single thong has now become my spider/crawly critter smacker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! The mental image of your Critter Thong of Death amuses me.

      Delete
    2. I have one of those electrified tennis racket bug swatter things. Touch a creepy critter with it and zap, they are gone, no clean up needed.

      Delete
    3. Good to know that you are not running around all willy-nilly, smacking the unsuspecting invaders with your thong!

      Delete
  4. Bare feet in the throes of winter? Guess we could call them idiot shoes when worn during the wrong season. I have been know to wear my favorite slide on rubber shoe all year, but I include wool socks until HeWho has a fire going. But, I don't go to town like that! Well, I try not to. I must confess that I voted in my black pair, but I had black socks on and HeWho could have called me on his way and I would have been ready. As it turns out, I was in good company in these parts and no one even looked at me feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sit here high and mighty, declaring that I have NEVER worn my red Crocs to town! But only because the boys had a fit when I tried.

      Yes, you would be over-dressed here in Backroads, where fuzzy slippers had to be banned from school, because so many kids wore them.

      Delete