Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Val People Problems: The DQ Receipt Wrappers

It's no secret that Val is a fan of the soft pretzel sticks and queso sauce at Dairy Queen. When Hick is going to be absent for the evening, that's my go-to supper. They're on the 2-for-$5 menu. That's $5.47 with tax. I combine them with the basic cheeseburger. Not wasting that bargain on fries or soda. I can drink a Shasta Diet Cola with it at home.

I have an issue with the window process at the DQ drive-thru. I waited for 12 minute in line on Tuesday night. With this being Hick's new bar bingo night, he almost beat me home! I didn't get there until 5:40, and he returned before 7:30! That's hardly worth enjoying his absence!

Anyhoo... I've grown quite annoyed with the DQ receipt policy at the drive-thru window. No matter who is working that window, they all treat my receipt in the same manner. They take the card, and rather than hand it back to you, with the receipt in the bag, they FOLD THE RECEIPT AROUND THE CARD!

This is extremely off-putting for Val. Those receipts are LONG! Not as long as those given by Hick's pharmacy, CeilingReds. But long. I'd estimate this latest receipt to be about 11 inches long. 


Val is quite well-versed in paper sizes, after her many years of teaching. And 8.5 by 11 is a standard sheet of paper.

Anyhoo... these DQ window-workers take the card, and before returning it, wrap the receipt around it! Over and over! So you get back your card, with that receipt folded over it about six times. WHY??? Is that receipt trying to escape? Just put the receipt in the bag, or hand it back like a normal person! Nobody needs their card wrapped like a mummy in the receipt! This takes extra time for the window employee, and extra time for the customer to unwrap their card. Nobody's going to stick that card back in their wallet, purse, or pocket while it's encased in a receipt. No wonder the wait time is so long!

Is this a local issue? Or have you noticed such a policy at other locations?

10 comments:

  1. We never got to DQ, but I would be willing to do some field investigations to help you.
    McD always hands the receipt and cc together. And, it is hard for Tommy to get the long receipt, grasping at exactly the right place where the card is hiding. The card is always on the side of the receipt facing the employee.

    I would not want my receipt wrapped around a cc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How simple it would be for the McD worker to turn that around. Since the worker already has a grip on the card, and then the customer could see where to grab it. No common sense these days, or looking at a situation from the other person's perspective.

      Delete
  2. At the DQ we went to the other day, the worker handed the card right back to me, sans receipt wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How does Arizona get Mensa members to work at DQ? They realize there is no need for receipt-wrapping, and that doing so hinders traffic through the line.

      Delete

  3. Both our McDonalds and DQ wrap the receipt around the debit card before returning it. My husband either tucks it next to his wallet in the console or hands to me, if I'm with him, and I sort it out, putting his debit card back into his wallet and I take the receipt and throw it in the bag. Never thought about it that much, I guess. I do get frustrated by the length of the receipts from almost everywhere. Our grocery stores have gotten ridiculous with all of the things added on. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have noticed if you were the one driving, who had to hold up the line to deal with the unwrapping.

      Delete
  4. Since retirement, I rarely go through drive-thrus alone. HeWho handles that as well as auto maintenance. Maybe I will be nicer to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no experience with drive through fast foods, but maybe it is so people don't lose either their receipt or their card? I agree it is annoying for those who never lose either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how the wrapping could prevent the loss of either. The receipt should go in the bag, or stapled to it. Not be used to mummify a debit/credit card!

      Delete