Monday, May 6, 2024

Cinco de Mayo el Deniro

Hick stopped by our across-the-road neighbors' house on Sunday evening, to give them the $200 road money they had asked all our residents to contribute for upkeep of our gravel roads. Hick had seen the husband along the road a couple weeks ago, and stopped to talk, offering him our cash. Husband said he didn't want it right then, but to bring it over sometime.

Hick is loathe to drive over on the Gator. Well. On a lawnmower. Because right now the Gator needs something repaired. Anyhoo... even if Hick drives SilverRedO down our driveway, across the road, and down their driveway, the dogs will follow him. That's not good. You don't go bringing your dogs onto some other dogs' territory. So Hick has to be sneaky, and go on a return-home trip, before the dogs notice him.

Anyhoo... I suppose Hick did not realize that Sunday was Cinco de Mayo. Our neighbors like to have parties for special occasions. Hick was there for a half hour or more, just to hand them money. When he came home, he had a plate. Problem was, Hick had gone out to supper with The Pony. So he offered it to me, a paper plate covered with foil.

"You may not want to eat this."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. Tacos, I think. Wife made it, and insisted I bring it. She was pretty drunk. She set her water bottle on top of the plate a couple times."

"Well, get on Facebook tomorrow and tell her I liked it, even if I don't. It was nice of her to send it."


It wasn't too bad. By the time I was ready to eat, the taco shells were getting soft. I've never tried guacamole before. I gave it a taste, but didn't love it, didn't hate it. You can't really tell from the picture, but there was also some sour cream beside it.

It's the thought that counts. Though not worth $200 a plate...

10 comments:

  1. I would have eaten them too even though the order of the insides aren't how I make mine. I would also add onion and more lettuce. Ha! I feel the same about guacamole as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would have put the meat in first, and topped it with the cheese and onion and lettuce and salsa. But for FREE tacos, they were not unpleasant. The Pony says guacamole tastes like wet grass. I'd ask when he has eaten wet grass, but he IS The Pony.

      Delete
  2. Val, your way of making a taco sounds good. Maybe some chopped tomato, although if you use salsa it really isn't needed. Please be advised there are many different ways to make guacamole, some better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had tomatoes fresh from my grandma's garden (I miss them so much, as well as Grandma, of course) I would definitely add them.

      I've never eaten an avocado. All I know is how to remove the seed, from watching cooking shows. So guacamole is still a foreign food to me. It's hard to teach an old Val new tricks, and new tastes.

      Delete
  3. That was a nice gesture. "no-one's" neighbours recently celebrated Greek Orthodox Easter with a party and A brought her a plate of yummy desserts. I don't like avocado and don't suppose guacomole would taste any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are good neighbors, despite their dogs killing all 32 of our chickens, a few at a time, and chasing our own dogs up on our porch until the sting of my childhood BB gun persuaded them to stop. They penned those two dogs, a standard poodle and a Rottweiler. After all the chickens were dead...

      Delete
  4. I can take it or leave it on the guacamole, too. However, I do like mine best. I have never seen meat on the top of a guacamole. But, she was drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose she was not dedicated to building a logical taco at that time of evening!

      Delete
  5. Free is, well, free. What's better than a free meal?

    ReplyDelete