Thursday, September 8, 2022

Hear That WHIRRRRR? Val Is Warming Up Her Helicopter.

Just when you think Val's helicoptering days are over, that her chopper is up on blocks, her boys having flown the coop and feathered their own nests... a situation arises.

The Pony had a workday from Not-Heaven.

"Today was a day from Not-Heaven! Someone (coworker, not rando) stole the keys to the route I was on's van. So I had to drive a crappy LLV [Long Life Vehicle] to Backroads. Which started smoking once I was there and started it up! And on top of that I rolled both my ankles (not badly, nor at the same time, but still!).  

Plus I had to skip an entire loop of mail because four big waist high dogs were running loose. And I was not risking that with how this day was going."

"Yes. Avoid the dogs! What about the key? Just absent-minded, or up to mischief?"

"As in 'someone took the new van that this route is assigned and put the keys to the worst LLV in there.' Which is all I know."

"That would seem to be some kind of violation! Did you just drive it, or ask where the van keys were? Was it a regular, or a CCA?"

"No clue. Like I said, that's all I know. Managers were equally confused and didn't know who had it, and I don't have the number for this route memorized."

"So at least the managers know..."

First of all, my helicopter might be warming up, but I have no intention of getting involved. Not my monkey, not my circus. I just feel bad for The Pony getting stuck with a crappy LLV when he was due a new van. As he's said for the past 18 months he's worked there, the vehicle goes with the route, not with the driver. Whoever fills in on that route uses the vehicle that the regular uses for it.

I have no idea if somebody did it on purpose as a dig at The Pony, (or more generally a CCA), or if they just wanted a better vehicle for the day, not knowing who was getting shafted with the switch. When The Pony checks the schedule, he knows what route he will have. So it's not a secret who is on what route. That said, I doubt it's personal. Just somebody wanting a Cadillac instead of a Jed Clampett car.

I didn't ask, but I suppose the 'worst LLV' was an extra. Otherwise, you could just see what route THAT OTHER vehicle was assigned to, and figure who switched. So maybe the culprit shuffled some keys. You'd think management would be able to figure it out, what with all the tracking they do on the drivers. Then again, we're talking about government workers. 
So who knows? 

Not this old Val. That's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it was personal, someone just wanted the good van and didn't care who got the crappy van. Is there any use in trying to tell The Pony that he really should be wearing some kind of ankle supports? Like those "basketball" sneakers popular in the late 80s, early 90s that laced up and above the ankle. If they were good enough to support basketballers on the court where they had to stop fast and change direction fast, surely they'd be good for The Pony's weak ankles?
    Those loose dogs should be reported, I bet the people in that block have no idea why they aren't getting any mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm thinking. They just wanted that nice new van, and not a crappy LLV, so they pulled the old switcheroo. Funny that it hasn't happened in all this time The Pony has been working there. So I imagine there's a rule against it, or it would be a free-for-all with people scrambling for the best rides!

      The Pony has his ankle-high boots for winter, which he says are comfortable on his ankles. I guess the heat is just too much in the summer. Maybe he could find some kind of hunter's boot in mesh. Hopefully in black and not camouflage. I think an actual hiking boot would be too stiff in the sole for the amount of walking he does. And the work boots in leather are hot, which the high-top basketball shoes might be, too, in leather.

      This was in Backroads, where a whole neighborhood has to now drive to the post office to get their mail out of OUTSIDE P.O. boxes! All because of ONE dog running loose, whose owner would never come out and talk to animal control. So reporting dogs in this town might not be very effective.

      I agree, they probably don't know why they're not getting mail, and will complain. I think there's a card or form The Pony fills out when there's a dog problem stopping delivery.

      Delete