Saturday, March 28, 2020

When PENNIES Rain On Val, They Pour

It was the best of times, it was the BEST of times! Val had a great week in her quest to become a Pennyillionaire. A great week that was actually a great DAY.

On SUNDAY, March 22, I popped in Orb K for a 44 oz Polar Pop Diet Coke. The Gas Station Chicken Store had forsaken me! With a note on the door saying,

"CLOSED. We decided to go home for the day. See you tomorrow!"

Anyhoo...I was obviously meant to be there at the late hour of 3:35 p.m., because I discovered TWO PENNIES at my feet!

Of course I documented my discovery with individual portraits.

A heads-up 1989.

And a heads-up 2001.

As I was paying for my pop (we don't really call it that here) and scratchers, I glimpsed the most beautiful sight. TWO MORE PENNIES that had been there all along. They're even in the first photo, but I was oblivious.


Yes, towards the corner are two well-camouflaged cents.


Allow me to introduce you to heads-up 1983 Mr. Lincoln.


And his shiny but bratty 2014 cohort, showing us his tail.

You might think Val would have rested on her quadralaurels right about then. Been satisfied with her four cents (enough to inject into TWO separate conversations!), and mosied on home to sip 44 oz of a lesser Diet Coke. But no. This is VAL! The Future Pennyillionaire!

Ever vigilant, something caught my eye on the way out. I had to squint. Move closer. Bend over, extending my ample rumpus.


YES! That WAS a penny! Hope you can see it for yourself.


Val lets no penny go unpicked! I set my magical elixir on top of the Sprite tower, to take the photos and harvest the last of my crop.
__________________________________________________________________

But wait! Another great day was coming! FRIDAY, March 27, I again found myself at Orb K, because the Gas Station Chicken Store had no pizzazz. No fizz. No carbonation on Thursday. I told the girl behind the counter, and she said she'd check it. But I wasn't taking any chances. I'd made do with Diet PEPSI on Thursday. Not risking it.


I was obviously meant to be at Orb K instead, according to the penny I spied upon disembarking from T-Hoe. I glossed over that shiny bit in the foreground, thinking it was a piece of foil. After stepping over it on the way to snap my penny pic, I noticed that it was, indeed, a dime!


The penny was a 2019, heads up.


The dime, also heads up, was a 2015.

It was a fruitful week in Backroads. Val Thevictorian had a good harvest.
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29.
Dime         # 7.
Nickle      still at 3.
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

  1. Not to rain on your penny parade, but in cleaning up Mrs. C's office/ hoarding room she has found: $127 in cash; $32 in dimes she hoarded; Three silver dimes worth .75; 20 quarters, 3 SBA dollar coins, 2 fifty cent pieces, a few religious medals and some foreign coins of unknown value...and we're still only 1/2 way through. Probably find a partridge in a pear tree soon.

    More fun than a slot machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain away! I always like to hear about found fortune. Unless it's from a Santa-looking guy on the Country Mart parking lot.

      That is quite impressive. Maybe you can start a weekly report of Mrs. C's finds. She might become a Hoarderillionaire! This is definitely more fun and more profitable than a slot machine. Then again, my pennies are usually more profitable than a slot machine...

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I do pick up a penny. Old childhood habit of picking up only the ones that have the heads.
    Stay safe.
    If you get a chance pls ck out my Tweet to our president. I am Twitter @blurbwatch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pick up tails, too. Sometimes I even step on a crack!

      Delete
  3. You should have enough soon for a lottery ticket scratch off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need! My scratcher return has been good, kept me playing for a couple weeks now. Didn't even have to spend my weekly allowance. I got a good one today, too. Maybe I'll show it in a couple days.

      Delete
  4. Now you know why the GSCS has no diet coke and is closed. Even Steven wanted you to come this way and find those coins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things happen for a reason. I was where I was meant to be, at the time I was meant to be there.

      Delete