Monday, March 9, 2020

Never a Dull Moment When the Hickster/Dude-Fest Reconvenes

Just when I'd run out of tales to tell, Hick came to my rescue in SilverRedO! He called on the way home from his Storage Unit Store around 3:45 on Sunday afternoon.

"I have a county sheriff's deputy coming out to the house to talk to me."

Of course I wondered what Hick had been up to now. There was some Storage Unit Store business last week that required law enforcement contact at Hick's request. So I thought it might have something to do with that, or Hick's recent purchases.

"What's going on?"

"I was driving home from the lockers, and I could see a truck behind me on the county road. It was a regular distance behind me as I came down Mailbox Hill. I put on my signal and turned in. Before I was even past the bus-waiting shack, a maroon F250 roared up beside me. I was driving like everybody does out here, kind of in the middle of the gravel road. This guy gassed it and cut in and ran me off the road! Good thing I didn't run off in the creek!

No way was I letting that go. I took off to try and get a license plate number. I couldn't get close enough. Down by the sharp turn, going up that little hill, he almost hit a red car head-on! I don't know who drives that car, or if it even belongs out here. I didn't know who was in the F250, either.

He tore up the big hill there in front of HOS's [Hick's Oldest Son's] old place. Then he ran off into the woods at Crazy Stick-Road Dude's land. It was CRAZY STICK-ROAD DUDE! He didn't pull into his regular driveway, because he knew he'd have to stop and get out and unlock the gate. So he went down the path through the woods, with all the tree limbs and potholes in it. He knew he done something wrong! That's why he was trying to get away from me!

I called the sheriff's office, and told them I knew they couldn't do anything, because that's what they always tell us out here. It's on private property, and they can't deal with it. Whoever I had said nobody should tell us that, because even if it was on my own land, nobody can run me off the road like that. They would send a deputy to take my statement."

I got the details over supper.

"The deputy went up there and looked around. I told him no way was that guy going to come out, and the deputy couldn't drive down in there because of the gate. He said, 'I can climb over that gate!' In the meantime, I'd called Back Creek Neighbor Bev, to get Crazy Stick-Road Dude's address off her court papers from the restraining order. 

The deputy looked around both places, but with the roads so dry right now, he couldn't see the tracks. He said the best thing for me to have done would be to leave my truck right where it happened, so he could get pictures when he came out. But then I wouldn't have known who it was in that truck, and wouldn't have a license number. He said if the guy had hit me, he could take him in right then for leaving the scene of an accident. 

I don't know if he got to talk to Crazy Stick-Road Dude or not, but it was a little while before I seen him drive back out. I know he couldn't do anything, but a report has been filed."

Before you jump to the conclusion that Hick is hard to get along with, and bringing these problems upon himself...he's really a pretty easy-going guy (unless he's pissing me off). He didn't ask to get run off the road, and he didn't ask for kids to break into his cabins multiple times.

Hick didn't even know it was Crazy Stick-Road Dude, the guy who used to hammer stakes into the center of the gravel road, saying his property line was there. He's been an ongoing problem since before 2017. It really escalated when Back-Creek Neighbor Bev moved in, and Hick and some others tried to help her out in court.

Of course now I'll think it's Crazy Stick-Road Dude prowling around, every time I hear the dogs bark in the wee morning hours...

9 comments:

  1. I hate guns, but if I lived out in near "Crazy Stick-Road Dude" territory, I might keep a shotgun in reach for protection...probably not...but maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to shoot a gun (other than a BB gun), but I could comfortably brandish one. Unfortunately, it would probably be grabbed from my grasp, and used on ME! Because I couldn't shoot anybody.

      I wouldn't mind splattering someone with a paintball gun, though! I hear it smarts.

      Delete
    2. I'd have the same concern.

      Delete
  2. Goodonya Hick! Reports need to be filed for things like this. Can you booby trap your yard in case Crazy Stick Dude comes wandering around late at night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was just somebody passing him, or making gestures, Hick would cuss at him and let it go. But cutting in to force him off the road, that's a no-no!

      Too much yard! I don't even mind the creeping, as long as he doesn't hurt the dogs, or mess with anything. Snooping around with night vision goggles (I'm sure Crazy Stick-Road Dude has them) is just trespassing. Creepy, but no real harm done. It would drive Back Creek Neighbor Bev crazy(er), though.

      Delete
  3. Snooping around with night vision goggles would have me perusing the real estate pages and moving away from there! Probably just what Crazy Stick Dude wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why Back Creek Neighbor Bev was looking for property a few months ago! They toured several homes with land, but decided to stay put for now. Bev swears that he comes in her house, but the cameras Hick installed for them say otherwise.

      Delete
  4. Crazy Stick Road Dude needs a blast of wasp spray in the face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But he's more elusive than those ZZZZZs from the sheep-counting commercial many years ago!

      Delete