Thursday, March 12, 2020

There's a Chance That Hick Temporarily Thwarted a Crime

Technically, the crime Hick temporarily thwarted was most likely intended to rob him blind.

Hick met a fellow Storage Unit Store proprietor up at "The Units," as he calls it, around noon on Tuesday.

"We noticed that the fence on the back side of my unit was flapped away from the post. You know that metal woven fence. We went to look closer, and somebody had undone the part where it connected to the pole! So they could just push on it and come in or out. It was still hanging in place, but if you looked, you could tell it wasn't attached."

"Well, they HAVE broken in before, and stole that camper."

"Yeah, but them people DROVE RIGHT THROUGH the fence. At the back gate. These undone the fence, to come back later."

"Well, if it was right behind your unit, you can bet that YOU are the target! They want a fast way in and out."

"They'll have a hard time breaking in the back door. They'd need a vehicle to ram into it, and there's not enough room. Just a gravel path that you can barely drive a car down."

"It's metal. I'm pretty sure they could just cut a hole right through the door. Get in, and then open up that door."

"They COULD, I guess."

"I'm sure they're after your guns. Nothing else would be worth enough to risk getting caught."

"They're in a safe, bolted to the floor. I know I've seen people ramming ATMs to steal them, but no way can they fit a vehicle inside my unit, with all my junk in the way. You can barely walk through the little aisles."

"I guess they'd have to cut through the safe, then."

"Yeah. That might take a while, without any electricity. I think I'll talk to our insurance guy, about renter's insurance, anyway."

"Probably a good idea."

"Me and my buddy called the owner, and he come up and fastened the fence back to the pole. It wasn't like that on Sunday afternoon when we left, so it had to happen Sunday night or Monday night."

"Heh, heh! You and that guy should sit inside one night, and if you hear a noise, throw that door open and surprise those thieves! The owner should have put a note on that part of the fence, 'We have you on camera. Come on back.' He DOES still have cameras, doesn't he?"

"Yeah."

"How long does he have the recording?"

"I'd say probably 30 days. So he can look back and see who it was."

"They probably had on hoods or masks, and took off their license plate. But still, he could see the car or truck. I doubt they'd park far away, because they'd want to escape fast if they got caught."

"Yeah. He'll probably look it over."

Let the record show that Val is just a logical person. She has not and will not rob a storage unit. Everybody analyses a crime scene, right?


10 comments:

  1. We have a lot of our household possessions in storage, and there have been some robberies. Kind of scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe thieves stole a whole CAMPER! Hooked it up to their truck and pulled it away. Never caught, as far as we've heard.

      Delete
  2. I don't know, Val. Your tips to Hick on what alleged thieves might do seems pretty accurate to me. Did you learn all that in Physics class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I learned it by observing human behavior, and sometimes eavesdropping, during my high school teaching career. I also learned that if you take an old vehicle to the salvage yard, and don't have the title, the guys say, "Okay, we'll crush it today!"

      Delete
  3. I analyse crimes scenes all the time. I once saw a Barbie shoe on the footpath and immediately started searching for more clues in case Barbie had been kidnapped. Or Dollnapped...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing would surprise me. If they are intent on stealing, they will. Insurance is a good idea. Maybe a booby-trap or two inside the storage unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but Hick will make them work harder to do it! I like the booby-trap idea. He could set up his junk like a giant Mousetrap game! Maybe even find a little cage to rattle down and contain them.

      Delete
    2. If only we could market that idea to the general theft-prone population!

      Delete