Wednesday, March 4, 2020

My Competition Must Be Eliminated!

Tuesday, Hick and I took a day trip, and were gone from 10:00 to 5:30. This interfered with my daily procurement of a 44 oz Diet Coke and scratchers. The minute we got home in A-Cad, Hick jumped in SilverRedO to go to an auction. Not to be outdone, I grabbed my purse and previous scratcher winners, and hopped in T-Hoe for a trip to town.

I added a little more ice to my magical elixir, since I was getting a late start, which would curtail my sipping time. I usually get just a smattering of ice cubes, and add them at home throughout the day.

Next stop was Country Mart, for scratchers. I go there several times a week. I try to vary the places I buy my scratchers. This time, I wanted a specific $10 ticket for myself, and two $5 tickets to send Genius. I knew which of the two machines I was getting each from. I have a plan in my head before I leave home.

When I parked T-Hoe, a gray minivan parked one space over. I got out at the same time as the other driver. I hate it when that happens. Do we walk side-by-side along the sidewalk in front of the store? Do I dart ahead so it's not weird? Do I allow him to forge in front of me?

I chose the latter, because I'm not very swift. Neither was he. It was the gray-beard, overalls-wearing, Santa-Man that I see there pretty often, buying tickets. I trailed behind him. Of course he turned left when he entered the double doors, to the machine where I wanted my $10 ticket, and one of Genius's new Lady Luck $5 tickets.

I went to the right, and got a Lady Luck. Good thing I had small bills this time! Those scratcher machines don't give change! I waited at an abandoned checkout lane for Santa-Man to finish his business. He was certainly taking his sweet time about it. I couldn't see the tickets he bought. They fell down to the tray with their backside showing, and his body was between me and the touch screen. I didn't begrudge him his time. It's not like I had anywhere to be. Finally, Santa-Man stepped aside. He turned to look at me.

"I left you some winners in there."

"I hope so! There's one specific ticket that I wanted out of that machine!"

Genius's ticket wasn't a big deal. I could always get it somewhere the next day. But I wanted that $10 ticket for myself. I put in my money and purchased my tickets. On the way back to T-Hoe, I was behind Santa-Man. He walked down the passenger side of his minivan, around the back, and opened the driver's door. I wasn't really paying attention to him, but my mind thought that was kind of weird.

Santa-Man started chatting again.

"I thought I saw something shiny. Which I thought might be a quarter. So I went to look and it WAS a quarter! I picked it up."

Of course my heart sank. A QUARTER! Right there for the taking! Santa-Man got it first!

"I always pick up coins. Even the pennies! I have a whole collection."

"I pick up the pennies, but not if they're face down! That's bad luck!"

"Doesn't matter to me. Now you've found the quarter ahead of me, and probably got the winners out of that machine ahead of me, too!"

"We'll see!"

At least my $10 ticket that I wanted so bad won me back $10. Even Steven. I suppose I just had a feeling it was a winner. Not necessarily a BIG winner. I may never know about Genius's tickets, which he won't get until next Tuesday, and won't bother to tell me unless it's a BIG winner, or I remember to ask.

Seriously. What are the odds that I'd encounter that Santa-Man four hours later than our regular awkward meet-up time, and that he'd nab A QUARTER before me?

That quarter was obviously meant for him. At least I know why some weeks I can't find a penny. And why sometimes they all seem to be face-down!

12 comments:

  1. I almost took a picture as proof positive of my dilemma yesterday when I was taking a walk. I bent to pick up a shiny penny, but it wouldn't budge. It had been run over so many times it was embedded into the asphalt.I thought of you immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOO! Usually, when I can't pick up a penny, it's because it's not an actual penny. It's a cardboard circle, or a punched-out piece of metal. I'm relieved you didn't get run over while trying to pick up the run-over penny!

      Delete
  2. I think I would follow him and see where he goes, and then avoid those places. after all your penny millionaire status is on the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he travels in the same circles I do. I'll be darned if I let someone else become a pennyillionaire before I do!

      Delete
  3. Your scratcher machines are self-serve? Here we have to wait at the counter and tell the assistant which ticket we want and she tears it off the roll and hands it over while we hand over the cash.
    If I got home from anywhere at 5.30pm I wouldn't be heading straight out again, not for any reason at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some stores have them. Country Mart has two tall ones. Walmart has two short ones, with not a good selection. The convenience stores have them behind the counter, with a display in a case.

      It was dusk when I got home. Not full dark. If we were in full winter, with darkness at 5:00, I would have stayed home. This time, the sun had barely set. Obviously, you are not a 44 oz Diet Coke addict!

      Delete
  4. A face down coin would not stop me, that is a silly superstition. I will not however, step on a crack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't stop me, either! My competitor is giving up 50% of the coins he is stealing out from under my nose. Good to know you avoid the crack!

      Delete
  5. I will pick them all up!! It is money after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if that old man reads your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not, or he will be crying his eyes out after seeing what I picked up later this week!

      Delete