Saturday, March 14, 2020

There Are None So Blind as Val in a PENNY Frenzy

Down to the wire it went! No pennies for the Future Pennyillionheiress Val all week. In fact, The Pone even raised that question by text on Friday afternoon: "Any pennies?"

"NO! It might be a shut-out!"

Heh, heh. From Val's mouth to Even Steven's all-hearing ear. Two stops and 30 minutes later, on FRIDAY, March 13, I hit the trifecta in Orb K.

It was a penny, waiting for me in that nook. Not the drop of spilled soda. I snapped a picture


of this face-down 2018 penny, and was about to pick it up when my attention was drawn

to my right, where ANOTHER penny awaited my harvest.


This one was heads up, looking right at me, a 1997 version.

But WAIT! As I was juggling my scratchers and phone, trying to keep my balance to pick up those two pennies, I saw that I had missed a THIRD PENNY. It had been there all along in my first picture, but because of the light coming in the window, I hadn't seen it on camera.


THERE! By the candy! It was actually more obvious in the first photo.


A face-down 1993. I picked up all my meant-for-me pennies, and thankfully had enough pockets to keep them separate until I could see their dates. Because I'm a stickler for details like that. That's normal, right? Nothing weird about such a habit...

Well. You'd think I could be happy with three pennies. But upon closer inspection, I see ANOTHER penny hidden under the rack by the FritoLay penny! I hate to leave a Lincoln behind, but there's no way I could have rescued him.

Sooo...Val will have to settle for 3 pennies this week.
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 20, 21, 22.
Dime        still at 6.
Nickle      still at 3.
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

  1. You are so lucky, it would have been terribly sad to see you have a shut out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was preparing myself for nothing, so 3 was fantastic!

      Delete
  2. If I'd been with you I could have got down on my still-good knees and hauled out that fourth penny for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buddy! I would have bought you a (healthy) treat in exchange for my 4th penny.

      Delete
  3. I walked right over a bright shiny penny at the inside door of Wal-Mart. No way was I bending down with all those hoarders with carts behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a wise decision! Even my ample rumpus could not have held back the hordes I've seen online. I might have tried to scoot the penny along under my foot, though, to a position out of the traffic flow.

      Delete
  4. Our stores have a little "Leave a penny, take a penny" tray, apparently your store has a "leave a penny, take a penny" floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Orb K still has that little penny dish on the counter. There's usually a couple in it. I guess some people are just careless or uncaring.

      Delete
  5. My mother was always looking down to find her fortune when she was out and about ….. that's how she didn't notice the bird that nearly landed on her head. He did leave her a poop gift, though. She tried to convince us that having a bird crap on your head was good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bird pooped on ME, too! It was in college, a nice spring day, while I was reclining on the concrete slabs by the steps before my next class. Pooped on my WHITE Adidas shorts with the blue stripes! No time to go back to my apartment on my bicycle and change. Green bird poop that didn't rinse out very well.

      On the bright side, I DO seem to have good luck, even to this day. I can imagine my readers now, trying to get birds to poop on them for good luck...

      Delete