Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Val Might Have Her Mystery, Inc. Card Revoked

Well. It seems that Val is not quite the investigator she imagines herself to be.

Monday, I was pretty sure I'd solved the Bus-Waiting Shack Discarded Condom Mystery. You may recall that a couple weeks back, I was pretty sure I'd solved the Bus-Waiting Shack Broken Window Mystery, with those two loitering young men sitting on a rock by the creek for two days. I haven't seen them since. And the unbreakable replacement window is still intact. So I might consider that one CASE SOLVED.

Anyhoo...Monday I stopped for the mail as I came home. I saw a newer-model black compact car parked where the self-driving bus-rider kid parks. School was not in session that day. Not sure what break they're on now.

Anyhoo...I kept an eye on that car, and THE MAN AND WOMAN STANDING BESIDE IT, as I parked in the road and got out for the mail. They had been in an embrace (or grope) when I pulled up. They separated, but didn't turn to look at me. That right there speaks of no-goodness. Normal people, I think, would have turned to look, to see who was interrupting them, if they were just saying goodbye or hello.

Anyhoo...once I had the mail, I drove by them. Slowly. It's a bumpy gravel road, you know. I wish I'd taken a picture of them, but I kept thinking they were going to look my way. They did not. They might have been late 20s, early 30s. The dude was kind of stocky, with a haircut I can't describe, that might have been fashionable in the 90s. He was wearing jeans and a camouflage t-shirt (I still saw him, heh, heh) and an earring in his right ear. The only ear I could see, with him facing towards the mailboxes. The woman was in forgettable jeans/shirt attire, with her dark blond hair braided down her back.

Woman was looking intensely at Man. I got the vibe of maybe a breakup, or him going away for a while. Just that look, practically oblivious to ME, who could have been taking video, for all they seemed to care.

I also noticed that the car had a temporary plate. Meaning a white piece of paper, with black letters and numbers. They're usually good for 30 days. I didn't notice the date.

Of course I reported the incident to Hick.

"I think I found your condom-leaver bus-shack lovers! Down by the creek!" I described the whole situation.

"That car has been down there a couple days this week. Without ANY plates on it. I don't know who it is. It doesn't seem to be a bus kid."

"I don't like people hanging out down there."

"Our neighbor [the dog-groomer, human mom of the Crazy Rottweiler and Killer Poodle] has been putting it all over the Facebook page. She stops and asks people what they're doing there. She asked one guy, 'May I help you?' He said no, and she said, 'Why are you here? This is private property.' He said he didn't know that."

"BULL! That NO TRESPASSING, PRIVATE PROPERTY sign is right above where these people were standing. I'm sure everybody who pulls onto our gravel road can see it."

"Yeah. She puts them on the spot."

"I was afraid they might get mad and try to take my phone or beat me up. I don't mess with them. But I might start taking a picture. With my doors locked! I should have cracked the window, and said, 'Do you live here? I don't know everybody yet.' But they could have lied and said they did. Since I'd have admitted I didn't know everybody."

"I oughta ask my buddy if he can get me a sign that says DEAD END. We can put it down by the mailboxes, and maybe keep the cut-through traffic down."

"They already know they can cut through! They'd probably vandalize it."

"Maybe. But it could stop any new people from trying it, and finding out they can cut through."

"Go for it. Can't hurt. He got you the 20 mph signs. Maybe he's got a NO LOITERING."

Dog Lady is pretty brave, questioning people. Maybe she has a crazy dog in the car with her. She's a rescuer. One thing's for sure... she's a better detective than Val.

10 comments:

  1. Detective Dog Lady seems to have a passion, will carry it through.

    At my school, I had to lock and unlock a gate to get to my class. Apparently that spot was a popular sex spot. Condoms about here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, imagine where they might have been if the gate wasn't locked!

      Delete
  2. We have no such issues here in suburbia I wouldn't recognize the family two doors over, so no way to even wonder about strangers. Everyone is a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way to tell whose strangers are stranger, until they make the headlines.

      Delete
  3. Better yet, take your hairdryer with you and point it at them. They'll think you are looney tunes. Can;t be too careful these days, though. So maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they might brandish a curling iron at me!

      Delete
  4. Depending on how shifty they might look to me, I'd either ignore them or crack a window and ask if they were lost, and point them in the direction of town where they can probably get a map or directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or I could put Detective Dog Lady on speed dial.

      Delete
  5. So you are also a sleuth? Such talent in that tiny body of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. My body would be considered tiny only in comparison to a 1960s computer that could do the same computations as my brain. Not bragging about my brain. Just pointing out how technology has evolved, growing smaller as my body grows larger!

      Delete