Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Just When I Want To Show Sympathy

Hick helped me carry in the groceries yesterday. And proved that sometimes, it's easier to do things myself.

On those rare instances when he's home to help, I carry stuff from T-Hoe's rear to the side porch, and Hick carries them on inside. I do that so he doesn't have to go up and down the steps every time, which is his method of carrying in groceries. All one trip from garage to kitchen, repeat. Instead of everything carried to side porch first, then ascend the stairs, and carry in things from that level.

I suppose one way is as good as the other. But the fact remains that I always take stuff halfway for him. Yesterday, he came out to the garage, draped bags on his arms, and was headed through the door before I was out of the driver's seat. I gathered up some bags and took them to the side porch. Hick came back out later than I expected him. I'd already taken my second load.

Hick was dabbing at his arm with a paper towel. Bounty Select-A-Size.

"What happened to you?"

"I almost fell!"

"How?"

"I tripped on the threshold."

"Uh. Don't you know it's there, after all these years?"

"Yes, Val. I know it's there. Them dogs was running around."

"No. Juno never goes down the steps. And Jack was right there with her, waiting for me to come through and give them cat kibble."

"I almost fell flat on my face!"

"I'm sorry that you're hurt. That looks bad. Let me see."

Hick removed the blood-soaked paper towel. His left forearm had a scrape about six inches long, deeper in the middle.

"You'll have to clean that up. When I come in, I'll put some bandaids and antibiotic ointment on it."

"I'm trying to stop the blood now."

"I see that. I'll fix it when I get these groceries in, so the dogs don't get them."

"I can carry them."

With that, Hick started grabbing bags, still holding the blood-soaked paper towel.

"Uh, I'd rather you didn't. Most people don't want their food touched by bloody hands."

"My hands aren't bloody! I can carry them."

There's no arguing with Hick when he gets hard-headed. Well. There IS. But it's not very rewarding.

Once inside, Hick disappeared. I hollered that there were bandaids in the medicine cabinet. To bring a couple, and as soon as stuff was put up, I'd put them on. Of course you know that my commands were ignored. Hick wandered back into the kitchen, and stood near FRIG II. I kept putting stuff away.

"Why do I smell some kind of chemical?"

"Oh. I put that liquid skin on my cut."

"What? You can't do that until it stops bleeding. And I SAID I was going to put bandaids on it."

"It's fine. See?"

"It's still running blood! You can't walk around with it like that."

"It's fine. I'm going outside."

"You'll get dirt and dog hair in it. Or you'll sit down in the La-Z-Boy and get it all over the armrest. As soon as I'm done, I'll get the bandaids."

"A bandaid won't cover it."

"I'm pretty sure there are big ones in there."

"I'll go look."


"WHAT IN THE NOT-HEAVEN! Why did you put the sticky stuff on the cut?"

"It wasn't big enough, going the other way."

"That's why you use more than ONE! Even a couple of small ones would have added on at the ends. NOBODY puts the sticky part on the cut!"

"It's fine."

See? I just can't have sympathy for Hick. I was willing to help him, but he had to use one hand to put a bandaid on the wrong way, rather than waiting.

I would really like to help him rip that thing off. I figure he doesn't need that arm hair.

10 comments:

  1. That looks like it needs a gauze wrap, not just one or even several band-aids...still, never put the sticky part on the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he'd just waited for the bleeding to slow down to an ooze, and not put that liquid skin stuff on it, I could have fixed him right up with a coating of triple antibiotic ointment, and a selection of assorted bandaids. Hick is not known for his patience.

      Delete
  2. And that, my friend, is life with boys. I am the sole survivor in a house with 4 men-children. I swear, they go from "AH! I'm dying" to slap some dirt on it and walk it off.

    And I'd be totally ripping that off with a smile on my face. ;)

    Here from Fishducky's. I've not blogged in a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! You'll have to fight me for the honor of ripping that off.

      I know. We had Hick's two sons, and later our two sons. They teetered on the tightrope between dying and daredevil-ing. My son Genius swore that his leg was paralyzed, on the walk out to the car from getting his flu shot at 10 years old. I don't know how a shot in the arm could do that...

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting here shaking my head. On the one hand, kudos for doing it (wrongly) himself, on the other hand, most other men would have collapsed in a faint to be waited on hand and foot for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he DID take the initiative to heal himself. I think part of the reason was to show me that I should have dropped everything to assist him, before putting away the groceries.

      It's not like I could have stopped the bleeding any faster. I don't have some fancy gewgaw to cauterize wounds.

      Delete
  4. Men,you can't help them and when you do they make it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when they help US, they increase our work tenfold. Unless they're killing bugs. They're great at that. And hooking up electronic gadgets.

      Delete
  5. Sure you do, a big kitchen knife and a gas flame from your stove. Heat the blade and slap it right on there (evil grin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. I don't like a gas stove, but that suggestion almost makes me want one. When I daydream with a smile on my face, this scenario is most likely playing in my mind.

      Delete