Sunday, October 13, 2019

Hick Wants Blacktop Road Cred

Hick is not some mysterious philanthropist who supports a cause behind the scenes. Oh, Hick is a benevolent benefactor. He just wants credit for his contributions. Perhaps accolades is a more accurate term for what Hick expects.

Last week, Hick decided that the mailbox bus stop area needs a sign to warn drivers coming over the hill.

"If they can put up signs by the other bridge that say "Rough Road," and not bother to fix the rough road, then they can put up a sign to keep these speeders from running over kids when they're getting on the bus. I'm calling the county road administrator to ask for a sign."

With a couple days, there was a metal post at the top of Mailbox Hill. No sign. But a metal post with an orange flag tied to it.

"Did you see my pole?" asked Hick. Un-self-consciously.

"Nooo..."

"At the top of the hill! It didn't take long. I bet they put the sign on it pretty soon."

I must say, I did not notice the day the sign went up. I am not in a habit of looking for signs. Actual physical road signs, anyway. I concentrate more on keeping T-Hoe on his side of the road, ready to dodge an oncoming driver who isn't. Anyhoo, Hick was sure to tell me when his sign went up.

"Did you see it? The bus sign is up!" Hick called me while I was in town.

"No. I didn't notice it coming in. But I'll look for it going home."


Yes, once just a shiny pole, there was now a sign to warn drivers about a bus stop.


Most people probably think it's warning about high water impassability of the road.


By the time they can read it, they'll see the bus anyway. Still, it will serve as a reminder when they see the bright color from farther back. I hope. Kudos to Hick for setting the wheels of the bus stop sign in motion.

Let the record show that Hick is also happy to take credit for his and Buddy's Poorly Blacktopped Hill, which, in comparison, makes this road seem like a brand new turnpike.

10 comments:

  1. Good for Hick! Signs are great if the driver can read …. or pay attention. I speak from experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put up a sign at your campground, but you can't make people read!

      I used to think they tied the little orange flag thingies on the new signs to make people notice them. But now I'm pretty sure they put the orange flag thingies on the bare poles so they can't be sued if people run over them before the sign gets put on.

      Delete
  2. In Jersey there would have been environmental impact studies costing thousand of dollars and taking a year or two before they put up a sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there would be no rare squirrel species endangered by it.

      Delete
  3. Signs are important, at any given time. Now, just need to get people to pay attention to them.

    Way to go, Hicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their subconscious will note that something is different along that stretch of road, and make them notice the sign.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'll tell him. He'll be so proud. He has been asking other residents here, but none of them noticed until he demanded recognition for this feat.

      Delete
  5. I think it would take three years of phone calls plus another five years of committee meetings to get any kind of sign out here. Kudos to Hick on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will convey your acknowledgement, so Hick can give himself another pat on the back.

      Delete