Friday, September 6, 2019

Val's Malaprop Comments Sock Pile 09-06-19

I'm always astounded (and usually highly amused) at the way some people manage to misinterpret common phrases. I've been compiling a file of those that make me titter. Every now and then, when Hick fails to provide me with a topic I'm too lazy to write up one of Hick's adventures, I will trot out some of these unmined gems. My latest favorite is...

SOCK PILE

I was reading comments on a YouTube video about Madonna and her skin care products. In her commercial, Madonna does a voice-over saying that she went looking for "the perfect clay" and "found it in an active volcano." Pardon me. I fell out of my rolly chair while laughing. That image of Madonna inside a live volcano, taking clay samples, sent me into hysterics. But that's not the prime cut of language that astounds me.

A commenter mentioned that everyone knows volcanoes require a sacrificial virgin, and further inquired, "What? Does Madonna keep a sock pile of them?"
_____________________________________________________________________

I think this next one came from the UK Daily Mail. The article had something to do with Al-Waleed bin Kalal. There was a picture of him at Prince William and Kate's wedding. The commenter suspected that this guest was packing a concealed weapon.

"The corrupt prince look like his hand is fake. Prolly cuz his hidden hand has an oozy in it!"
_____________________________________________________________________

Also in the UK Daily Mail, somebody impolitely declared that a daughter of a former President looked like she had a reseeding hairline.
_____________________________________________________________________

I don't remember this source, or the context, but "They just made Chu Chu train noises" made me smile.
____________________________________________________________________

Though I would have spelled it differently, I tend to agree with this next comment of:
"I don't wear makeup, high hill's, or dresses."
_____________________________________________________________________

Hey, they can't all be knee-slappers.

10 comments:

  1. I saw one this morning somewhere. A commenter wrote that he was not a "sore looser", when his team got beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't begrudge misuse of those frequently-confused gems, including improper their/there/they're, and your/you're, etc. It's the ones that remind me of misunderstood song lyrics. Like people have heard the words and pictured something else, rather than having read them, and misspelled.

      Delete
  2. Think how much LESS fun this would be if people could spell properly.
    Pee Arr Oh Pee Eee Are Ell Why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of them are spelling properly, but believing wrong words in the phrases.

      Delete
  3. I think I missed an Are in there (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. You got it. Hard to tell with the moderation on, when you can't looked back at it after hitting 'publish'.

      Delete
  4. You only have to rad my blog for these ......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have abdicated my position as Commissioner of the Grammar Police since my retirement from teaching. I am, however, a student of clueless references such as "icy on the cake," rather than "icing on the cake."

      Don't get me started on the travesty of my own son, Genius, insisting on "coming down the PIPE," and "dead as a doorKNOB."

      Delete