Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Proud Non-Owners

Hick and Val are now the proud non-owners of a 32-foot camper!

I took the cashier's check to the bank (after doing Hick the favor of signing his name while he's several states away) for deposit. There were five people ahead of me, but since I waited until 1:00, the tellers were all back from lunch. That meant two were serving customers, and a third was opening up her window.

One lady had a time-consuming transaction that I barely caught the tail-end of. Apparently she was cashing a check, or withdrawing from her account. She said, "Wait a minute, before you do anything with those fives. I need to buy some fives from you. I need $330 in fives." Her daily 44 oz Diet Cokes must be REALLY expensive!

A dude finished up his transaction and left. So only three more guys ahead of me. Then one said he was wanting to talk to a loan officer, and that got rid of HIM. The other two men were together (not like that), which brought me right to the opening-up teller.

This is the Teller who knows me. I don't know her, but she's the one who tried to help with my ATM-shorted $20. I don't hold it against her. She's also told me that her aunt won a huge amount on a scratcher. Can't remember if it was $25,000 or $100,000.

Anyhoo... she took the cashier's check and my deposit slip, and typed in my account number, and looked briefly at the back of the cashier's check for the endorsements. I must say, I let out a sigh of relief when she flipped it back over. The typed in some more stuff on her computer. Then she excused herself to the back room. I thought she might be calling to verify that cashier's check, but she came right back with a printout for my receipt. She explained that $200 would be available immediately, and $5000 the next business day, and the remaining amount on October 2. That's an interesting method of holding it now.

You might recall that about six months ago, when I brought a check from my very own credit union, just a couple miles up the street, that one teller (who was working directly to my left, heh, heh) had picked up the phone right there at the counter, and then told me that my check had not been issued by my credit union! Which I'm pretty sure would make IT fake, and ME a criminal! Anyhoo... I talked my way out of that one (by telling the truth and pointing out her error in calling the wrong facility), so I'm almost over the PTSD from that experience.

I can't believe how easy this transaction was! Now I can start worrying for the next 10 business days, in case something goes wrong...

Bottom line, we sold the camper, and the check is in the bank. I imagine Hick is already online seeking new flip houses...

6 comments:

  1. Not sure why, but I often feel like a criminal when doing any bank transaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ATM stole $20 of my own money from ME, but the bank made me feel like a criminal!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So is the guy selling the small camper that was parked beside ours. Yesterday I drove by and saw it hooked up to a truck, and a man and woman leaning on the hood of a car, as if signing a title.

      Delete
  3. $330 in fives! I'm more likely to go the other way. I seem to always have plenty of fives, so I stick them in a back pocket of my purse and when there is more than ten of them I take the ten, put them in an envelope and lock them in the safe. When the envelope can't hold anymore fives without splitting, or when I'm short of cash, I take them to the bank and exchange them for $50s. Which them go back into rotation as I collect more fives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good plan. I think maybe that lady was like Hick, running a Storage Unit Store, or maybe shopping at yard sales.

      Delete