Friday, March 9, 2018

Tupperware Is the New Gold

Hick is finding out that his storage unit fortune lies not in questionably-authentic jewelry...but in TUPPERWARE! That stuff is worth more that its weight in gold!

Hick found a TON of it (figuratively, of course, not literally) in one of his 18 storage units. Our back-creek neighbor Bev (of questionable sanity according to Hick, though not on the Tupperware subject) has bought almost $400 worth of Tupperware from him! She and her husband love it, and are giving the bulk of it to their recently-adult children to furnish their adult kitchens.

I looked on eBay, and the price for this Tupperware is CRAZY! But not as crazy as the real price on the Tupperware Store website!

Here are three bowls that Hick showed me. Not the style or color that appeals to me, but apparently, they are selling like hotcakes on eBay.


I think I saw a 2-pack of them for $30. All of Hick's storage unit Tupperware is new. In wrapping or boxes. He had a bunch of cookware, too, but that's not today's subject.

Here's a Tupperware bowl that neighbor Bev used to send Hick some blueberry pie. Two pieces! When confronted as I came upstairs unexpectedly and caught him eating it...Hick said that one piece was for me. I let him have it.


Bev wanted assurance, before handing the pie-bowl to Hick, that he WOULD remember to give her Tupperware back!

Here is a table of Tupperware that Hick set up at his Storage Unit Store for this weekend. I don't expect as big a crowd as the first-weekend-of-the-month crew he had last week...but he'll probably sell some of it. He says he still has at least 10 tablesworth packed away. And that neighbor Bev had bought about 3 tablesworth.


Rockefeller had his oil, Carnegie had his steel, and Vanderbilt had his railroads...but Hick has his Tupperware!

14 comments:

  1. We have a ton of that crap, I will not open the cabinet it is kept in. I use Chinese Tupperware, or Chobani Yogurt containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! We use Hillbilly Tupperware. Those lightweight black plastic rectangular trays that deli meats come in at Walmart. They are great for shipping Chex Mix in college-boy care packages. So lightweight! And totally disposable.

      Delete
  2. He's definitely sitting on a goldmine there, or a Tupperware mine. I love the stuff, but don't have much as it is way too expensive now, even the ebay items. It looks like a Tupperware dealer gave up the business and stored all her stock for Hick to find.
    See the pink salad bowl with the sunray lid? I scored a free one in Harvest Gold (70s colour), near brand new, someone chucked it in our recycling bin and I hauled it right out again, scrubbed it up, removed her name from the bottom and at the moment it's filled with grapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was looking up prices for Hick! He knows he can't get full price, even though they're new. People won't pay that at a flea market.

      I told him not to sell them too cheap. He can ask for half the price, and settle for 1/3 or 1/4 if they want to dicker. Heh, heh! I said "dicker!"

      I have a bunch of stuff my mom game me that I didn't realize was Tupperware. Like a big bowl with six compartments and a middle opening, that I use to serve veggies and dip. It's listed at $45!

      I've been trying to find that round cake taker thingy next to the big pink bowl. Apparently, it came with a deviled egg tray and a flat tray for a pie. They sit inside it. I'll have to ask Hick if this one has those parts. I saw it on eBay for $69.95.

      Delete
    2. That would be a handy thing to have for parties. I bet they're hugely expensive new from the Tupperware shop, a lot of their stuff is over-priced now in my opinion. I'll just pick up pieces that I like when I find them at thrift shops.

      Delete
    3. That's what Hick is hoping! That people will want to buy Tupperware from HIM at a discount!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I think Hick should set himself up as a Tupperware party host. He could prepare treats for the guests, come up with party games, etc.

    I wonder what would be the refreshments offered, and what games would be played...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refreshments would be hot dogs, expired bologna, and canned mushrooms. All of Hick's favorites.

      The game would be "Turkey Peekin' Over a Log." Don't expect to have a good time. It's the worst game ever, that Hick used to play with the older boys. It goes a little something like this:

      A boy is minding his own business, watching TV or playing a video game. Hick comes up behind them and grabs the back of their neck in a pinch, near the hairline.

      "What's that?"

      "OW! I don't know...what?"

      "Turkey peekin' over a log."

      Yeah. I don't get it either.

      Delete
  4. Cindy just bought a Tupperware salt and pepper shaker ser and Wow that stuff does sell like it is made out of gold...I wish that I had known Hick was going to have a mountain of the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if Hick has a salt and pepper shaker. There are still some boxes of Tupperware he hasn't opened. Maybe he could have hooked you up!

      Delete
  5. I have a child's set of Tupperware from 1960's in the box given to me by my a woman who used to be a distributor. I thought I'd let my first grandchild play with it, but never did. Now I think it might one day fund a great grandchild's college education at the rate that stuff is selling on Ebay. Hick has himself a gold mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! That's VINTAGE! It would be a good start on the college fund.

      Hick has a Mickey Mouse set of kids' stuff. I haven't seen that version online yet.

      Delete
  6. Who knew that Tupperware would turn into gold? I still have my orange canister set from the 70's. I was so proud of it, could not wait to display it on my already crowded counter top. Nostalgia sells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a dark blue canister set that Hick says was his when we got married. Possible. Though I don't envision Hick ever attending a Tupperware party. Or me, either. Mine would have come from my mom, who had lots of retro Tupperware.

      Delete