Sunday, March 25, 2018

Rainbow Not So Bright

Hick found a Rainbow Vacuum in one of his 18 storage units. Supposedly, they're all the rage, and quite costly. Hick says it's worth $1500. One of his Storage Buddies said he takes his used vacuums to a store over in Bill-Paying Town, and they buy the vacuums from him for resale. Hick drove his Rainbow to that store, and the only person working at that time looked like a teenager.

"That kid looked at my vacuum, and said, 'Oh, we just sold one like that yesterday.' So I said I was looking to sell mine, and he said, 'We don't buy vacuums.' So I took my Rainbow and left."

"How much did they sell that one for?"

"I don't know. I was so surprised that he said they didn't buy them, I forgot to ask. I guess I'll try to sell it on my own."


Wednesday, Hick put his Rainbow for sale on the local Buy/Sell/Trade. Wednesday evening, he had a story for me, told while he sat on the wooden steps down to the basement, before heading off to a brand new auction, with me a captive audience in my OPC (Old People Chair).

"I got a call from a lady about my vacuum already. I put it on Backroads Buy/Sell/Trade for $800."

"I thought you were going to ask $1000."

"It's worth $1500. That's what they're asking on eBay."

"So your buddy doesn't want to sell it for you on eBay? Like your ceramic candlesticks that just made $49?"

"Nah. The shipping would be a headache. So I just put it on Buy/Sell/Trade here for $800. The Rainbow didn't work, so I took it apart. It had a spare belt in the bottom. In a little compartment. I guess it was meant to hold spare belts. It runs fine with the new belt on it."

"Do you think she'll pay $800 for it?"

"She just called to ask how much it was."

"But it SAID $800."

"Well...it went on there as $80,000."

"Whew! I bet she thought you meant $80, and she was really going to get a bargain!"

"I'll take less, but not $80...oh. She just sent back, 'I know it's worth $800, but I couldn't begin to pay you that much.' That's okay. Somebody'll buy it."

That was Wednesday. On Thursday, Hick had more story to tell.

"This morning, a guy put on there, 'That belongs to my brother. His number is xxx-xxxx.' I don't even know what he wants me to do. Call his brother? Why would I do that?"

"Yeah. Because when somebody doesn't pay their storage bill for 6 months, and somebody else buys the contents...they're just supposed to give it all back? That's crazy! How does he know it's his brother's Rainbow?"

"I don't know. There's no markings on it. I took the picture over in front of my Freight Container Garage. I'm not calling him."

"Good. It could only cause trouble."

"Another gal left two messages. I didn't see the first one, but at 12:20 a.m., she left another one, saying she saw my vacuum, and she had some questions, and to please call her. She wanted to know if it was running, if it had its filters cleaned, if the belts were in good shape, and if it was a good vacuum."

"Sounds like she really wants that vacuum."

"So I called her this morning. She asked the price, which is on there, and I told her, $800. So she says, 'Well, that one is used. There's a brand new one, in the box, on eBay, for $800.' So I told her, 'Sound like you need to buy THAT one!' I don't care if she buys mine. It'll sell. If she'd offered me maybe 300, 400, 500 dollars, I'd a probably took it. But she didn't offer nothin'!"

This feels like a case of Rainbow Not So Bright. For those inquisitive buyers...and for Hick, asking $80,000 for a used vacuum.

9 comments:

  1. I wonder what an $80,000 vacuum would be able to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, just spot checked prices for used and reconditioned ones...from $250 to $1500, I guess it also matters as it looks like they have different models. Hick is probably in the ballpark, I'm sure people will want to bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick likes to bargain. And to turn over his merchandise as soon as possible. I'm sure he'll jump at a reasonable offer.

      Delete
  3. I was expecting to see a rainbow coloured vacuum and was disappointed to see it was just black or is it grey? filters should be relatively cheap, so if Hick puts in new ones he might get a quicker sale. And of course he needs to change that $80,000 price tag. For that price I'd want it to be made of gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was expecting something different, too. I'll ask if he changed the $80,000. If he doesn't know how, he needs to re-list.

      Delete
  4. He will sell that rainbow machine; someone will want it, or want it back. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the guy who allegedly owned it will pay $80,000 to get it back. Seeing as how he wouldn't pay $65 for his storage unit rent...

      Delete