Monday, July 31, 2023

Val's Very Bad Day

Saturday started off not-good. Little did I know that it would get not-gooder.

The heat index was headed for 110 degrees. Hick was hobbling around with a bum knee, courtesy of his good deed for Former Backcreek Neighbors Nick and Bev. The Pony had texted me that he was sick, and calling out of work. So I started my day worried about them. Though Hick and The Pony might argue that they were each having a worse day than Val...

When I left for town around 3:30, it was so hot that my little Jack did not even get up from his dust wallow under the carport in the space that is usually beneath SilverRedO. He never does that! I was kind of worried about him. Even Scarlett plodded along the porch, rather than prancing. She turned up her nose at the treat of stale tortilla chips I tossed to her. I made a mental note to give them both some ice cubes when I got home. That might be a nice treat.

In town, the Liquor Store was out of the big jug of whiskey that I meant to buy for Hick's mixed drinks. The polite gal with facial piercings went to look on the shelf, and said, "Huh. We had one here earlier, but I guess somebody bought it this morning." (!)

My favorite clerk at the Gas Station Chicken Store told me that she had just talked to another lady who said she picks up pennies! Not news I was wanting to hear!

The line at DQ was non-existent when I went by to get scratchers from the Country Mart machines. Of course they were empty in three of the four slots that hold my $3 tickets. As I headed for DQ, I saw a line of seven cars. So no DQ pretzel sticks for me! Too hot to sit in line.

The skies that were sunny when I left home had somehow filled with angry purple clouds. A few raindrops sputtered down, but didn't trigger T-Hoe's automatic wiper feature. So I had to turn them on and take a few swipes to clear the windshield. I just missed my left-turn light by DQ, and had to wait. Between that stoplight and the prison two miles out of town, the temperature dropped 10 degrees. Then another 10 by the time I hit our gravel road. The winds were buffeting T-Hoe along the way. Then again, T-Hoe is nothing if not a big metal rolling box. 

At the bottom of Hick and Buddy's Badly Blacktopped Hill, I encountered an obstacle.


Well. Ain't that a fine how-do-you-do? I was relieved that it didn't extend into the road, but was basically lying beside it.


That tree was not so spindly as it had appeared upon first glance. At least I could get around.


The farther I progressed, the more I saw how lucky I was that this behemoth was not across the road, blocking my only way home.


Sometimes, The Universe decides that it is better to place small obstacles in your path, rather that put you in the wrong place at the wrong time, and have a giant obstacle land on your T-Hoe.

I proceeded up the gravel road, and turned into our driveway to see a strange dog romping and barking with Jack, Scarlett, and Copper Jack. He might have been a Walker Hound, but looked less pedigreed, and more like a tall beagle mixed with a rangy shorthaired breed. I called Hick to see if he knew anyone with a dog like that. No.

While still on the phone with Hick, who had just arrived at the downed tree, I complained that my garage door opener didn't work. I've been begging him for YEARS to get me another one, or figure out how to put in a battery. Then in side-stepping blame as usual, Hick spoke the most chilling words ever:

"The electricity might be off."

As Hick was coming down the driveway, I maneuvered T-Hoe to sit in front of the closed door, still with room for me to get out without toppling off the back edge of the carport. I was walking around to the passenger side to get my purse and stuff, rain pelting down now with a vengeance, when my garage door opened and Hick walked out. He had gone through the people door and used the pull chain.

"There. Now you can park inside."

"NO! Then I'll be trapped!"

"I'm going to leave the door up."

He never does that. Thinks that garage needs to be hermetically sealed. And when T-Hoe is parked, the pull chain is over his roof. Which requires a young, at-home, Genius or Pony to climb up on the running board to reach it. Anyoo... I walked back around T-Hoe to drive inside, still getting wetter from the rain.

You might think the worst part of my day was over. But you'd be wrong...

8 comments:

  1. The tree in the road was scary. I would have feared it was there to trap me, and someone would kidnap me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! That would be a lot of trouble for somebody, just to kidnap an old ample-rumpused lady who might have a penny in her shirt pocket, and a stack of losing scratchers in the side of her purse.

      Years ago, on a blacktop road with 36 miles between towns, there was a car sideways across the center line, and people standing by it. I drove around, in the grassy area that was thankfully level enough, because I suspected foul play. That was in the days before cell phones. No good could come of stopping. I would be of no help to them. Not giving a ride! And they could certainly have thoughts of robbing me.

      Delete
  2. Your trips out and about are never boring. The storm really took out some trees! Hope the boys are not lying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, I would welcome a boring town trip.

      Delete
  3. That was lucky the tree did not come down in the middle of the road! We stayed in Missouri last night, at my former competitor's RV park. Drove through our old park this morning, stopped to chat with old friends, did not encounter the buyers since we were told that the office is rarely open except weekends. My old flower gardens were weedy and unkempt, tall grass that was in need of mowing. It was great to see that my efforts are missed! If you encounter the penny pincher (see what I did?) in your quest for coins, just call her a copy cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tree is STILL THERE! So I can survey it twice a day. The roots pulled out of the dirt. So it was just the luck of the swirling wind that put it NEXT TO the road, and not in it. I'm kind of surprised, as I would have expected this to happen to trees on top of the hill, and not down in the gully.

      It's good that you got to see your old friends. Sad that all your work on the grounds was for naught, but at least you can tell how much you are missed!

      That gal better not be pinching my rightful pennies! I'd hate to open a can of whoop-rumpus on her!

      Delete
  4. Everything else is bad enough, but I'm glad the temperature dropped and rain fell to ease the heat. The poor dogs who can't ask for ice in their water bowls would be very relieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the temperature drop was a consolation gift from the unwanted storm. We had a day of temps in the 80s, and Scarlett was her prancy self again. But little Jack had a limp! His back right leg. Maybe that's why he was not coming to greet me. He seems better two days later, even standing on his hind legs for a hug.

      Delete