Monday, July 3, 2023

Too Hot For the Deer to Run Away

We've been in the midst of a heat wave. On Thursday, The Pony sent a picture of the temp in his Metris van: 118 degrees! That was WITH the air conditioning on. It can't cool his cargo area very well. Probably still cooler than driving an LLV (Long Life Vehicle), which has NO air conditioning, only a small fan mounted to blow on the driver.

Anyhoo... on Friday, the temperature in town was 105. Out here in the country it was only 100. On the way to town, a deer meandered across the county blacktop road in front of me. Normally, when I stop to get a picture, they dart out of frame just as I'm hitting the button. Not his time!


She only had energy to chew listlessly on the top of a weed. I left my window up so as not to startle her with the sound, so there's a bit of reflection. 

Anyhoo... just sharing that photo with you. I'm having internet problems, and don't feel like getting involved in the twists and turns of a tale, lest I find myself unable to post it. If I disappear for a few days, it's more likely due to connectivity issues, and not to Hick finally mastering one of his convoluted methods of trying to kill me.

6 comments:

  1. I saw a small news article about Great Britain having a heat wave. The temperature was expected to rise to about 32°C. That's around 89°F. I live in the deep south of the USA and all I could think was "Oh, poor them (not)". Although, I don't think air conditioning is at all common over there so I'm sure it is miserable in some places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how 89 could be bad without AC, but 105 is hotter! We went to basketball camp with Genius one summer in Mississippi when it was 105. The kids stayed in dorms without AC. Genius and his teammate asked if I thought it was safe to eat their unrefrigerated leftover pizza for breakfast one morning. NO!

      Delete
  2. I feel for The Pony working in such heat, we had to sweat while making shoes because "air conditioning would affect the leather" which is ridiculous because the cold of winter didn't affect the leather. Also the women working in the kids shoes department did have aircon. We did get breaks mid afternoon though wirth the bosses bringing around icy poles etc (popsicles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you got icy poles! I agree that the no-AC excuse didn't make sense, considering the kids' department had it.

      Delete
  3. The weather in the mountains is a lot different than it was in Missouri. It provided us with a mild winter and now the rest of the year would appear to be as mild. While I love this, it makes me wonder if Mother Nature is teasing me for what might be heading my way in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your mild weather continues. It hasn't mattered so much to me since retirement, as long as we still have electricity. But now I worry for The Pony being out in the extremes of summer and winter.

      Delete