Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Even the Litter-ati Succumb to Hick's Charm

Hick left around 2:00 on Monday to go buy some more stuff from his buddy who's going out of business. It's towards the city, about 50 minutes away. Later that afternoon, I got an email from Hick:

FOND
Picked this up on side of road free should sell for $20.00


That's a nice little wagon. Looks like the tires are good! Still has a handle. I assume the door works, or Hick can fix it. I'm pretty sure he will scrub it, removing the previous rider's name from the door. I don't recognize this model. The kid might be 8 now, or 18.

The most disconcerting part of Hick's email was the SIDE OF THE ROAD. The route he takes is 85 percent HIGHWAY. Divided highway. Four lanes, or 10 lanes! I shudder to think that Hick would pull over to pick up a wagon! I asked when he came in the house.

"Where did you get that wagon?"

"On the road, where I picked up the shower and tub for HOS's (Hick's Oldest Son's) house."

"Oh. So on the blacktop road. Was there a sign on it like the shower? FREE?"

"No there was no sign."

"I hope you didn't just steal that out of someone's yard! Like if the kid left it there!"

"No. It was out beside the edge of the road. I saw it when I left, and I told myself that if it was still there when I came back, I'd get it. It was, so I did."

"There's no place to pull off. Did you park in their driveway?"

"No. I just stopped in the road. I could see traffic coming in both directions."

Huh. That doesn't mean they could see Hick! People don't pay attention these days. I had to honk at a car only an hour before, for parking at a perfectly good green light! 

Anyhoo... Hick got a bargain to sell at his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2). And other bargains at his sell-out buddy's place. So he had a good day. 

Technically, the wagon-pushers are not litterers. It's not like somebody threw that wagon out along the road. It's common around here to set out what you are willing for other people to take before the trash truck comes.

10 comments:

  1. Here too, in the city where I live, people put items out near the roads for people to take. I like to see this as you know the item is going to someone who wants it and the item is being recycled rather than going to the trash collector. It's a cute little wagon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wagon will make somebody happier than the trash man!

      Delete
  2. People put out items here too, though it is illegal so close to the city. Good things get snapped up pretty quickly though, so that's not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little different out here in the middle of nowhere, because you don't know how many people will drive by and see it, and how soon.

      Delete
  3. We live in a little neighborhood. Anything we put out disappears. We put two recliners, a love seat, and it was soon gone. Toys, everything disappears. I have no idea who takes it. I found four nice chairs for the kitchen in a trash heap and brought them home and put his four awful chairs on the road. Disappeared in two hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people might want it for themselves, or know somebody who could use it, or might want to fix it up for resale. That's one way of recycling!

      Delete
  4. There is a place next to the Dollar General, or one of the Dollar Generals. In our little town there are three. But I noticed this place with no signage that had a lot of outdoor furniture when we first moved. Since then it has a lot more stuff, but there is never anyone there. We have a bed, an old recliner and loveseat that are worthless and want to dispose of, but putting it on the road near our mailbox wouldn't work, since there is limited traffic. I think we should just take it to that place and leave it, you know, as a gift. HeWho wants to take it to the dump and pay to get rid of it! What is wrong with him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take it to the no-sign place and leave it, hoping they don't have surveillance cameras!

      Delete
    2. Even if caught on camera, I am not TAKING anything, but gifting them with he equivalent of what they seem to be collecting. I could lie and say I thought it was a drop off for charity. As far as I know that could even be true!

      Delete
    3. That's a good story, and you keep stickin' to it!

      Delete