Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Val's Internet Future is Not So Rosy

The struggle with internet continues... Sometimes I can access any website I desire, and other times I can only get to a few. In the worst of times, I have no connection at all. So if I disappear for a few days, that's the likely reason. 

Hick has been a good soldier, descending the 13 rail-less stairs to the basement every morning to do a hard reset of the modem and router. He has consulted a Senior Center lunch buddy. I put in a call to Genius yesterday evening. He was still at work. Meaning AT HOME, working, and on call. So it was brief, and he seemed to understand my predicament. Gave me a couple of trouble-shooters to try.

Genius said his new drone is not a basic $99 version that Hick saw advertised, but a mid-grade drone that is at the top weight limit before you need an FAA license to fly it. He has been too busy to drone on and on. In fact, too busy to cook supper, so ordering-in was on the menu. Seriously. You don't think Genius would let Friend in the kitchen to experiment...

I now leave you with an old picture taken by the hands and eyes of Genius, and not a drone. I think it might be from a couple years ago, when Genius had first moved into his apartment, and the pool was being readied for the summer. It's taken from the balcony where Genius harvests his peppers.


That's Pittsburgh. I just like the photo. Besides, Hick has given me nothing of interest to complain about, brag about, or worry about.

12 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful view.
    Have you tried a Wi-Fi extender? My son lives in our backyard, my router is in my front yard, pretty much. With the extender, he's able to use my Wi-Fi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried it. Still trying to figure out if the problem is the router or the modem. It started being wonky after a thunderstorm a few weeks back when both the DISH internet and TV went out for a little while. That's happened before over the past 10 years with no ill effects, other than occasionally having to reset the router and modem.

      Delete
  2. Genius took a great picture. It looks like it was taken at just the right time of day/night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photography is his hobby. Looks like the river is running high in this one. And the deck chairs are not yet at the pool as they were in a couple other such photos he sent me.

      Delete
  3. I love that picture. Especially the sky is so dramatic, assuming he didn't use a filter. Beautiful. I also like the angle it was taken at. I am a sky watcher, so really can appreciate this. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not known Genius to use a filter on photos like this in the past, but I can't say for certain. I'm thinking this was after a storm, with the river looking turbulent, and the suds in the pool.

      Delete
  4. You need to call "The Guy"...wait, you have Genius..nevermind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius tried to dumb it down for me, and explained how to text which device is causing the trouble. Test One is complete, no solution yet. We'll try the next one tomorrow. Might still have to call DISH, but we can sidestep their commands, having already done that!

      Delete
  5. I always call my son when things are wonky. We get our internet via the electric company and it is super fast and very seldom down. This is not my area of expertise. I do the gardens and clean the house and all that entails, like laundry, cooking and cleaning up after cooking. You know, the time consuming stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone knows I am a technology simpleton. I stopped short of hitting HIPPIE with my fist, like The Fonz and the jukebox at Arnold's.

      Delete
  6. It's a great photo! with beautiful colours. Good luck with the trouble-shooting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it. I really like it. As much as the Academy Awards audience liked Sally Field. The troubleshooting still remains troubled.

      Delete