Thursday, November 17, 2022

A Stain Upon Hick's Reputation

Nothing much happening around here. So I'll show you the stain Hick put on the back wall of Pony House. It's not a good picture. You know Hick. He takes a panoramic photo with the subject a mere dot in the middle. And this was taken too early for sunlight to reflect the true color of the stain.

 
That's just the inner part. Hick has since done the whole back wall.

 
When I get a better photo, I'll be sure to share it! The stain actually looks good. It's the color of the roof. Darker than I had imagined, from the sample The Pony sent me. The Pony likes how it turned out. The stain cost more than the paint for the rest of Pony House! In fact, Hick had to go back for more, after the amount he used in the first picture. Apparently, that wood siding is very thirsty!

Speaking of the siding Hick chose for the back of the house... it's what he calls "cedar siding." Not what I call cedar siding. His main factor in choosing it was the price. I say you get what you pay for! It was cheap, because it came in 4 x 8 sheets like plywood.

There's a new house in a subdivision on the way to Sis-Town, just past the cemetery. They've been working on it for a while. Now that it's done, I noticed that they used the same type of "cedar siding" as Hick used on Pony House. They painted theirs white. IT LOOKS TERRIBLE! That house does not seem to belong in the subdivision.

I mentioned that this house had used his style of siding. Hick said he saw it:
"It looks like crap!"

Indeed... at least the dark stain is an improvement. Once you get an accurate view of it.

4 comments:

  1. The first picture is good enough, it shows a bit of the neighbourhood. What is that building with all the windows that looks like a school? I liked the stain when it was just the middle part, but not now it's on the whole back. I think the middle should have stayed stained, with the sides being the same blue as the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That building IS an old school. Then it became an agency that helped low-income people with summer job programs for youth, assistance with heating and cooling costs, resources for training and education, etc. Now I think it's a home for the elderly.

      I was against that back wall from the beginning. I wanted it to be siding like the rest of the house. I do think the whole wall stained looks good, when I see it in actual daylight. I don't think the paint on wood would have turned out the same color as the paint on the steel siding.

      Delete
  2. Siding painted blue is actually what I meant, but didn't make it clear. That cedar sheeting just looks wrong. More so now that it is stained. I also think paint is better weather protection. Unless the stain is designed for outdoors, like decking stain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stain IS decking stain. The Pony wanted stain instead of paint. And also wanted to leave the cedar, rather than put on siding. Hick created that monstrosity. Like Hick, like Pony, I suppose...

      Delete