Saturday, October 31, 2020

Another Friday COINcidence For Val

Are you on the edge of your seat? ONCE AGAIN, Friday has come through for Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune, by providing a last-minute coin for the collection.

As Even Steven would have it, my schedule was off. I was in town about 90 minutes earlier than usual, due to our supper plans. The Pony and Hick wanted to have some Domino's Pizza, rather than sandwiches from a new deli that opened about three miles from our house. Since I'd promised to drive The Pony to pick it up later (because he likes to eat his pizza in the car, when it's piping hot), I needed to make my original town trip earlier, so I'd have time to eat lunch before supper!

Wouldn't you know it, on my way out of the Gas Station Chicken Store with my 44 oz Diet Coke (and an unbeknownst at the time $50 scratcher winner), I saw a welcome surprise on the rug.


That's a DIME, baby! The customer behind me waited politely for me to start out, but I'd set down my magical elixir on the slim edge of the counter outside the protective plexiglass barrier by the register.

"Thanks, but you go ahead. I'm going to pick up this dime after I get a picture of it. I collect them."

He smiled and nodded, and went on out. I got my closeup.


It was a heads-up 1978 dime. I'm sure it was relieved to slide into my shirt pocket, and get off that crumby rug. To be fair, I was there between noon and noon-thirty, with a single (and new) cashier manning the place. Shift changes at 1:00. So I guess the sweeping and vacuuming is the job of the afternoon cashier. Besides, yesterday and the day before were rainy and windy. So at least the tile floor was clean of tracked-in detritus.
 
I was pleased as punch to find this dime awaiting my empty weekly coin coffer! I swear it wasn't there when I went in! I'm always looking down as I cross the threshold, due to their little blacktop ramp at the door. One guy was paying as I entered, so I'm thinking it was his loss. The customer directly ahead of me used plastic, and had an armload of a 32 oz drink, a bottle of water, two cans of smokeless tobacco product, and one scratcher. So it wasn't him juggling coinage.
 
That's 1 COIN, for 10 CENTS, coming through on Friday, for the second week in a row.
_________________________________________________________________
 
2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       still at 120.
Dime         # 23.
Nickel       still at 10.
Quarter    still at 1.

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. Another dime! You're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! And I'm ROLLIN' in dough! The lowest form of dough, the coins. But my clear plastic former-pizza-sauce container is overflowing. I must DEMAND a new penny goblet from Hick.

      Delete
  2. I found a quarter size silver coin from Peru in with my change the other day. We should go on a coin hunt together. I have eagle eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wpw! I've never had one of those! Maybe your eyes could keep me from being fooled by those silver foil circles off the top of 5-Hour Energy Drink bottles. They look like dimes to me.

      Delete