Friday, October 16, 2020

Creacher Feature

After a few blissful weeks of no Creachers (unauthorized denizens who patronize our creek beach), no missing mail, no break-ins, and no stolen trucks discovered on our property... I made a troubling discovery on my way to town Sunday afternoon.


This is actually a picture I got on my way back home. Which means that this car was parked there for over an hour. But I'm getting ahead of myself. No need to become like the most-hated Seinfeld episode ever, the reverse wedding in India debacle.

As I left, I drove past this small gray sedan. I think it was a Ford Focus, but I don't remember now. The front window was down, and there was a "kid" sitting in the driver's seat. By "kid,", I mean a young man, maybe between the ages of 18 and 30. I'm not good with ages, especially on this "kid" who looked like my teenage heartthrob Robby Benson. Surely you remember Robby Benson! He was SO DREAMY! Especially in that basketball movie, One on One. 

Anyhoo... Kid Robby had that short black haircut. I didn't see his face, because he was sitting sideways, almost putting the back of his head out the window. Showing off that hair, maybe. OR HIDING HIS FACE AS I DROVE BY!

There was a person in the passenger seat, but I couldn't make heads or tails of them. Man, woman, combination, I don't know. I was driving, you know! I made a mental note to ask Hick if that car belongs out here. I glanced at the creek, in case they were waiting on friends wading or trapping minnows. Not a Creacher was stirring in the creek. Or on the beach.

When I returned at 2:59 p.m., that car was still there! I was really crafty about getting this picture. I parked T-Hoe on the blacktop road, by Mailbox Row, and acted like I was checking my phone before getting out for my mail. Which I didn't do, because it was SUNDAY, no mail delivery. But people out here (until the thefts) sometimes don't check their mail every day, and have been known to pick it up on a Sunday.

Anyhoo... I zoomed in and got this picture as I turned onto the gravel and drove by. It turned out better than the mailbox photos. I didn't linger, because Creachers might object to being photographed by someone who only has every right to be here due to residency. When I got home, I asked Hick about the car.

"I have a picture of it."

"That's okay. I saw it when I came home. I didn't see anybody in it."

"WHAT? There were two people in it when I left! They've been there over an hour, doing who knows what. And now they are MISSING? I don't like the sound of this."

"I looked in the creek, but didn't see anybody there."

"Me too. Is that somebody's car out here?"

"I don't know. I don't remember seeing it."

"Maybe you should put in on the Facebook page and ask if it belongs to anybody, or their visitors."

I don't know if Hick did that. He's not good at following through. But he hasn't heard reports of anything missing. I told him midweek that maybe he should drive up and see if that car is living on our Other 10 Acres. Or abandoned in the woods.

Hick said he had done that the day before, and saw no sign of it. So that's a good thing.

6 comments:

  1. I don't like it...I don't like it one bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where WERE they for all that time they were missing? Not up to do-gooding, I'll wager my weekly scratcher money!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the break-ins and stolen truck and car people camped on our other 10 acres over the past couple months, I wouldn't think much about it. Perhaps a couple friends passing the time, since there are not a lot of places to go in and sit down these days.

      Delete
  3. If you don't see anyone in the car or down by the creek, they're probably in the backseat for a bit of you-know-what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car wasn't a-rockin', but I still didn't go a-knockin'!

      Delete