Thursday, September 20, 2018

I'd Say She Deserves to be Called a Rockcar

Tuesday was a bright, beautiful (though hot at 91) almost-fall day to drive to town for a Dairy Queen lunch.

Oh, I didn't have a Dairy Queen lunch. I was merely passing by on my way to the pharmacy. When I spied another lady who was probably going to regret driving to Dairy Queen for lunch.


Dairy Queen used to have a problem with people running over their blacktop curb entering the parking lot. You'd think they solved the problem by putting those big rocks at the corners, so people could see where the drive started.


Apparently not.

I feel bad for taking this picture. Let the record show that the driver was NOT standing there when I lifted my phone, but by the time it snapped the photo, she had walked around the back of her car. To her credit, she did NOT give me the stinkeye.

I don't even want to laugh at this scenario. Maybe if she was a know-it-all Millennial, driving distracted by her cell phone. I have a feeling this is somebody's grandma, retired, maybe picking up lunch for herself and her husband, cutting the corner a little too sharply while keeping an eye on those people coming out of the Hardee's drive-thru. Or maybe an out-of-towner, who got caught up in the right-turn-only lane, planning to make a big square through Dairy Queen's lot to get back on the main road.

As I left, a flatbed tow truck was there, lights flashing, with the Tow Driver walking around the car, looking at it. I don't know HOW he expected to get that car on his tilting flatbed, without scraping the bejeebers out of its undercarriage. Hick said he should have brought the regular tow truck, with a hook, and he could have hoisted up the back end and set it down off the rock. Maybe blog buddy Kathy will know, since her HeWho has tow truck experience.

Maybe this will help you understand why I am so paranoid about other Backroadsians on the roadways with me. I only made two stops, and after this one, I was almost sideswiped by a mid-size gray junker at the Orb K entrance. Seems that some people don't understand that a center turn lane is for making LEFT turns, not RIGHT turns across the regular lane filled with flowing traffic.
___________________________________________________________

YIKES! Upon zooming in...I think maybe she IS giving me the stinkeye!
___________________________________________________________

10 comments:

  1. Oh, she needed to pay attention, get off the phone, or become a better driver. Her insurance will let her know.

    DQ. They have Pumpkin Blizzards now. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably lost her appetite for a pumpkin blizzard.

      Delete
  2. What a mess, you are right not to laugh, even if it is a millennial, as we have our own millennials to worry about without generating any bad karma.

    Maybe he could gently nudge the car up with the tilting flat bed and somehow move the rock.

    I'd have taken a picture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAYBE the tow truck driver jacked up the car, and drug the rock out. Because when I went by yesterday, the grass all around the rock was torn up, like the rock had been put back into place and the dirt tamped down.

      Delete
  3. I hope any groceries she had in the boot (trunk) or back seat didn't get all slid out of their bags. I hope too that she wasn't hurt apart from her pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looked healthy enough, walking around the car while on her cell phone. Probably had an adrenaline rush, though.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You'd think she might have noticed before it got that far. My first clue would have been looking up into the sky through my windshield. Which would have made me slam on the brakes. NOT gas it, thinking I could go over the whole rock. Her car doesn't look like it's made for off-roading.

      Delete
  5. Yes, Kathy would know about these situations. Hick was right. More to the point, I have rocks this size to discourage sharp turns by campers exiting my park. They get the travel trailer of the fifth wheel up on the rocks, but they keep going! Sometimes dragging the big rocks down the drive, digging up any plants and dirt as they go. You hear a big thump as they finally come off the rock, you know, in case someone might blame them for the mess they leave in their wake. I will watch them as they drive on and sometimes can tell that they have done some significant damage to their campers. This always gives me a little lift for the day. Is that bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think that's bad. It's just recognizing Even Steven bestowing karma upon the gougers.

      Delete