Thursday, September 13, 2018

A Dark Day (Some Call It Night) in HICKstory

"You might say I had a little experience coming home from the auction Saturday night."

Well, if you're like me, that gets your appetite all whetted for more info. Funny how Hick didn't bother to tell me of his adventures until two days later.

Hick gets home from that auction between 10:00 and 11:00. It's up north, so he comes in on a different blacktop county road, and down a two-mile section of gravel road that goes in front of HOS's (Hick's Oldest Son) house, along where Crazy Stick Road Man lives.

"I turned off on the gravel road, and thought I saw something. It was a girl with a suitcase! Just standing there, crying, trying to talk on a cell phone. I stopped to see if she was okay. You know the phones don't work out here. I put my window down, and asked what was wrong. She said, 'I came here from New York, for the love of my life, and he threw me out.' 

You could see that she was upset. She was maybe 29 or 30, with blond hair. Didn't have any idea where she was. I had to ask twice if she was all right. She said she had called the police. I sat in the car for five minutes, with the window down, just trying to talk to her. Nobody showed up, so I called the dispatcher.

I couldn't go off and leave her there. She couldn't walk to town. She didn't even know which direction town was! After about 10 more minutes, a deputy showed up. He was really calm and polite to her, trying to find out what happened. 

About five minutes after THAT, the K9 deputy showed up. He got out, and was a real asshole! He immediately started quizzing her, all condescending. He said, 'Well, what do you expect US to do? You HAVE been drinking.' She did smell like alcohol.

The first deputy said, 'All I can do is take you to a motel.' Here she was, six miles from town, after 10:00 at night, no idea which way to town or what roads to take, without phone service. He finally did take her to the Super 8. At least that was the plan when I left."

Okay, Hick is a nice guy, and he stopped to help. But what if the police hadn't shown up? THEN what was he going to do with that gal? She might have been a MAD STABBER for all he knew! It's not like he could bring her home for safekeeping. And if he let her in his car to drive her to town, you never know what she might have accused him of.

At least this adventure worked out okay. For Hick, anyway. I don't know what happened to the gal.

16 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine Hick just leaving her there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's not like him. He's a people person, and a perpetual helper.

      Delete
  2. That is an incredibly sad event. The deputy sounded calm and professional. The K9 officer was a real jerk.

    God bless Hick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There didn't seem to be any "happy" choices to resolve the situation.

      Delete
  3. HeWho would have babysat until the police arrived. just be thankful Hick did not bring her home and offer to let her occupy one of your boys' rooms! He Whoa has actually suggested that old ladies who pull in here to sleep in their cars come in and occupy the extra bedroom! I gave the bed away so that this won't happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! HeWho has Hick beat in the good samaritan department!

      Delete
  4. I am curious to know who the love of her life was and if Hick knows this person …...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick knows the place where this guy lives, but doesn't know him. He just remembers the old couple who used to own that land previously. It's next to the field where the emus used to live. A whole herd or flock or whatever. It was kind of eerie to drive by them at dusk.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, Hick is a good guy when it comes to helping others.

      Delete
  6. You just can't be too careful in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have stopped and cracked the window to see if I could help her call someone, while watching the woods lest anybody run out as part of a plot to waylay me.

      If it had been a guy standing there with a suitcase, I would not have stopped, but would have gone home and sent Hick back to investigate.

      Delete
  7. She could have been all those things, but I'm glad Hick stayed until help arrived and shame on that a-hole being all stern with her just because she'd had a drink or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick and I both think the K9 guy probably got the original call, took his time, and got chewed out after Hick called again and got the nice guy dispatched. So he was in a bad mood when he arrived, before he even got out.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the makings of a story. My ex told me the woman I saw him with in our car when I was on a field trip was a hitchhiker with hungry kids, so he took them to lunch. Turns out she had hungry eyes and we ended up divorced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good you found out sooner rather than later! No coincidences, you were meant to see that.

      Delete