Saturday, September 1, 2018

Val CENTSed It More Than Saw It

Whew! I was coming down to the wire Friday morning, not a penny in sight all week for my Saturday CENTSus report. I scurried into Casey's to get scratchers to stuff in Genius's weekly letter on the way to the post office before the mail went out.

You know, if I haven't seen a penny yet in the week, I am constantly scanning the ground for them. I'm a Lincoln Hog. Any spare penny is going in my shirt pocket, for later gobleting. My eyes move from right to left, then from left to right. Like the return carriage on a typewriter. You DO remember typewriters, don't you? It's like I have a mine detector, covering every inch of ground to save my squad from annihilation. Or in this case, to snag someone's lost penny. I'm as thorough as a differently-visually-abled human with a white cane sweeping the terrain in front of them. If there's a penny, I will find it.

Only Friday morning, it was more difficult than usual. I had already asked the not-overly-cheerful young lady behind the Casey's counter for my selected scratchers. I was having a mini pity party for myself, having not seen a penny upon entry. A mini pity party. With those tiny cupcakes that Walmart sells 12 to a container, and individual vanilla ice cream cups with flat wooden spoons, playing pin-the-whisker-on-the-hamster, wearing enough tiny elasticized pointy party hats to make my head look like a medieval mace, because nobody came to my mini pity party, even though I'd sent out invitations the size of matchbooks. You remember matchbooks, right?

Anyhoo...I was standing there, waiting for my scratchers, almost out of breath, wallowing so hard in my self-pity...when I was compelled to LOOK AGAIN on the floor towards the door.


Do you see it? I almost didn't. But I glanced outside to see if anybody was, perhaps, late arriving for my mini pity party (it would be a shame if I had to eat all those cupcakes and ice cream and win the prize for pinning the whisker on the hamster)...and I SAW IT!


A 2017 shiny beauty, in the corner of the door frame, face down! Stop the mini pity party!

_________________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Penny  # 88.
For 2018: Dimes  still at # 13.
For 2018: Nickels still at # 4.

Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 166.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Dime # 19.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Nickel # 4.
__________________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. I KNEW you'd see it, waiting there for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I've developed a pretty good sixth CENTS!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could still get those little ice cream cups out here. We used to call them Dixie Cups and they weren't available in supermarkets but could be bought one at a time from Milk Bars, which I suppose would be similar to your drug stores with the booths and soda fountains? where you all hung out with milkshakes and burgers. Anyway, Dixie Cups, one at a time with a little wooden spoon, then for a brief while, in packs of six at supermarkets but not seen here for many years now. I miss them.
    I saw that shiny penny right away, then thought nah, that can't be it, it's too obvious, and kept looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was 7, we had those ice creams in our school lunch once a week, and they were delicious. Now I'm not a fan of vanilla. We have several varieties that come in a pack of 12. Hick likes the strawberry/chocolate swirl version, which comes with wooden stick spoons, and I find at Country Mart. I prefer the birthday cake flavor from Walmart.

      We had a drug store like that when I was a kid, but I was too young to hang out there. Then it closed, like most of the stores on Main Street. I blame Walmart for putting the shoe stores and clothing stores and Woolworths' Dime Store out of business. Woolworth's had a soda fountain, too.

      You're a good penny-spotter. I wasn't even trying to trick you this time!

      Delete