Friday, May 19, 2023

Another Day, Another Work Hazard for The Pony

You'd think The Pony would start running out of work hazards. He's had the broken ankle from an unbroken sidewalk, and dog bites, and a gun pointed at his belly, and a flat tire, and gotten stuck in the snow. He avoided a tree falling on him, and was on the other side of the street when a house burst into flames. But here's a new one from Wednesday:


In typical Pony fashion, he was quite understated in the reveal.

"Today, I found a snake."

That was all. I assume The Pony gave it a wide berth, and didn't cut through that area, but went around. Out of respect for the homeowner, you know. And... well... the snake.

Looks like a big black snake to me. Hope it slithered away safely. There are worse enemies.

8 comments:

  1. Yikes! Never a dull day for the Pony:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks like a decent sized snake! I can honestly say, I don't care if they aren't dangerous, the further away from me, the better. Pony does attract some "interesting" situations. I hope he continues to be ever vigilant - who know what else is lurking out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's 5-6 feet long. At least The Pony does not have a fear of snakes. I forgot about the hole he stepped in that swallowed his leg to the knee. So yes, you never know what's lurking to pounce on The Pony!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I'd be giving that big boy a nice wide berth too, is it a poisonous type? It looks harmless but you never can tell. Well, I can't. The only ones I know for sure are your rattlesnakes and our Australian Brown snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black snakes are not poisonous. They can still chomp on you, which would hurt, and maybe give you an infection if untreated. They are considered a "good" snake, by virtue of eating mice and rats.

      Delete
  4. I would say that the snake is more afraid of you that you are of them. But, really this does not apply to me! I saw one a couple of days ago near my She Shed. It was maybe 7" long with a neon blue stripe on its back. A garter snake. I didn't kill it, but I didn't approach that area again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They take you by surprise, and then there's the slithering!

      We had a middle school student who was teasing a garter snake while doing stretching on the field during P.E. class. It BIT him! Then he had an ambulance ride to the hospital. He didn't want it, but of course the school had liability to consider.

      Delete