Monday, May 15, 2023

A Little Dash of Catchup

I asked Hick what he did with his FREE 15 bottles of Diet Pepsi, and 12-pack of Miller Lite. He instead started on a story of his Old Buddy's woman drinking 8 tallboys the previous night. Not making a connection, I just treated it as a Hicktale, and commented that if seemed to be a lot of beer for a woman to drink in one night. To which Hick replied, "I didn't MAKE her drink it!"

Well. That needed some further investigation. Turns out the Miller Lite beers Hick got for FREE were tallboys, which are 24 ounces per can for that brand! So each tallboy is the equivalent of 2 regular beers!

Anyhoo... Hick's mind immediately jumped to that story because he GAVE his FREE Miller Lite 12-pack to Old Buddy. I guess maybe his woman was celebrating getting FREE beer...

On the Scarlett front, Hick released her from her corkscrew tether on Sunday afternoon. He sat on the front porch with her for a while. Jack came along, and both dogs lay calmly on the porch with Hick. When Hick came in the kitchen door, Scarlett walked right in! Guess she's making herself at home! We had to tell her NO, and Hick led her out by the collar. I'm sure she was confused, having been a house dog before starting her life with us.

When I left for town, both Jack and Scarlett came to greet me. I usually toss Jack a scrap of bread on my way to town. Maybe a half-dollar size piece. I took two. Jack was eating his, but Scarlett walked along with me. I mean WITH ME. She got under my legs as I went down the steps. Maybe she was leaning on me to keep me from leaving. Not to worry, I go down one leg at a time, bringing both feet onto the same step before going down another one, all the while holding the handrail. So she was in no danger of tripping me. However... while she was preoccupied with my movements, Jack also ate Scarlett's bread!

Here's where the problem began. I waited until I started T-Hoe to open the garage door. I usually do that first as I enter the garage, but I didn't want Scarlett running around there. I got backed out, and here she came as I had just hit the remote to close the door. In she went! Which stopped the door, making it raise again. I called her out. Closed the door. Back she went! We played this game FOUR TIMES!

I'm guessing that Scarlett is not familiar with garage doors. She'd run in, go to the front to the people door, then look up at the garage door as it raised itself on the track. Finally Hick came out to the side porch in his tighty-whities. He'd been running a bath as I left. I guess he heard the garage door commotion. Finally I got the door down before Scarlett ran back in. Then as I started up the driveway, she trotted along behind me. Hick called to her and stopped her. He says if she chases SilverRedO tomorrow morning, he's going to put her back on her lead. She'll probably catch on to that faux pas within a week.

As I was sitting at the kitchen table with HIPPIE, I would see Scarlett come around the porch, walk past the kitchen windows, and not come back. Until 10 minutes later, when she'd come back around again. Always the same direction, the way Hick had led her when he brought her home. I guess she is doing laps, making sure we are all okay inside the house. Like she's protecting a herd from predators!

Scarlett and Jack are getting along well, until he tries to hump her, and she snarls. Which is as it should be. He doesn't fight back. She's just standing up for herself.

6 comments:

  1. He is just trying to let her know he is the alpha. Bo does the same thing to Toni and she will snap at him and walk away with a look of total disgust. Sounds like Scarlett is going to be a good fit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like Scarlett is a quick learner. She'll have the routine down in no time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a little setback today... Scarlett is in the dog house!

      Delete
  3. She'll fit right in as soon as she cottons on to a few things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. She's young, and her whole world has been uprooted.

      Delete