Sunday, January 3, 2021

Let It Melt, Let It Melt, Let It Melt

Thursday night we had rain, freezing rain, and sleet. Between 5:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m., the power flickered five or six times. I cranked my OPC (Old People Chair) from the recline position to the getting-up position. It has a backup battery thingy, but I'm taking no chances in being stranded like a turtle on its back. The creeks were up, and the limbs were clear-coated. Friday night we had snow. About an inch or two in the yard.

GOOD THING I'M A LATE RISER! 

By the time I started to town both days, the slickness was off the roads. Sure, it's nice to see snow falling, and on the ground. Even the snick-snick-snick of sleet on the metal roof is not unpleasant. But I don't get excited about it like when it might mean a DAY OFF FROM WORK! I could sit home if necessary, and make my own 44 oz Diet Coke.

When I started to town around 2:30, the trees were still clinging to their snowy blankets.

 
There's the end of my driveway. And the end of THE NEIGHBORS' driveway. The neighbor who drove his Gator-thing across the road, pulling his trailer loaded with broken concrete to clandestinely dump down our sinkhole.

 
There's our sinkhole, in the group of trees on the right. He was parked along that green strip, his Gator-thingy past that little cedar tree, and his trailer adjacent to the sinkhole drop-off.

A lesser person might wheel her trash dumpster across the road, and scatter her trash all willy-nilly in the neighbors' field. Seeing as how we're all neighborly and such, and consider each other's property as an acceptable destination for unwanted material that should be disposed of in a landfill... as long as you call and confess to it within 10 minutes of being seen doing the dumping.

Val would never do that. She's never been LESSER in any way.

12 comments:

  1. The snow blanketed trees make a lovely view. and since I am also watching an unseen episode of my favourite show, Salvage Hunters, I've lost my train of thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice on bare limbs farther down the road was sparkly pretty the day before, but I didn't stop for a picture. If I was out and about earlier, I could have captured the whole yard/field under a white blanket.

      Delete
  2. I'd tell'm "Hey, get your own sink hole!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be shocked if they don't have any. They also have 10 acres. We have several sinkholes. They run in a line towards the goat pen, the other two shallow, with bottoms filled in.

      Our 10 acres on the other side of the barn field has a deep, water-filled sinkhole down towards the creek. The owners of the land before the Dog Groomers lowered their ten-year-old son down on a rope (before we owned it). Because that's what people do around here, when they're not dumping headless bodies in septic tanks, or their concrete shards in other people's sinkholes.

      Delete
  3. The snow is pretty, not too much. I have had neighbors use my yard like their own, including the trash bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have people drive up, walk into our BARn field, and pick our blackberries! Hick confronted them once, and they said, "But we always pick blackberries here!" Not any more!

      Delete
  4. I hear you. One year, my dad was paid to plant 100 pine trees by the state government. The trees disappeared bit and bit, until Christmas when there was a clean sweep. One's open space is privately owned, for goodness sake!

    One's blackberries are sacred, didn't she know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a granddaughter and niece of Scotch Pine Christmas Tree Farm proprietors... I understand the magnitude of that bit-by-bit theft!

      Hick was disappointed over the blackberries! My grandma used to make him a cobbler when he brought her the blackberries. He knew better than to expect me to do them right!

      Delete
  5. We got a lot more snow than you. It looks so pretty, unless you have to shovel it. My dumpster knows exactly how you feel! Difference is that the appliances and tires someone dumped also cost me money. More security cameras went up today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you need a sinkhole! I hope you get license numbers and useful info from your cameras... and not just a plumber's crack when somebody bends over!

      Delete
    2. We do have a sink hole and I shudder to think of someone finding all the stuff in it in a 100 years! It has dozens of mowers I have killed, the camper that burned is in there, too. Even the recliner Kevin died in. Kevin dug the hole with the excavator and I wasn't aware of the contents until the day I was over in that field dumping weeds after a storm. The hole filled with water and Kev's chair was bobbing up and down. I was glad his ghost wasn't in the chair, as it was, I wet my pants, it startled me so! Our hole is not common knowledge, in a far field behind our billboard. I don't go there anymore.

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh! The bobbing recliner! I almost peed MY pants! From laughing at the thought of you noticing it.

      Our sinkhole isn't big enough for a camper. Deep down, maybe, but the opening funnels down to a hole about the size of a lawnmower (riding).

      Delete