Monday, January 11, 2021

While the Ponytail Guy's Away, the Auction Gets Hick's Pay

Hick said the Ponytail Guy won't be bringing any FREE food for a couple of weeks. I forget why. Maybe there's a funding problem. I didn't really listen. Like a dog only hearing its name, or TREAT, or GO FOR A RIDE... I hear Hick's soliloquies like he's Charlie Brown's teacher. 

Anyhoo... I guess Hick had the Ponytail Guy on his mind. Or at least bargain food. Because he went wild at the auction last week. HICK GONE WILD! Nobody wants to see THAT video! I didn't even know what he'd been up to until Hick said, "I got you some fruit mix."

Huh. That is not very descriptive. It could mean a box of assorted fruits in their skins. Cans or individual cups of fruit salad. Some sort of powder to flavor fruits. When pressed for more info, Hick described it kind of like my Save A Lot trail mix with bananas, raisins, almonds, cranberries, cashews, papaya, and pineapple.

THEN he left a bag on the kitchen counter, and I understood. 

 
I took it down to my lair (disregard the tax files stack), planning to put it in the zip-sealing Trail Mix bag, which is almost empty. It looks pretty good in the bag.
 
 
I expected the contents to be more firm, like my Trail Mix. Upon opening, and tasting, of course, I found them to be soft. Even the nuts don't have much crunch, but the nuts are ENGLISH WALNUTS! I like those. I'm not looking forward to getting a shell that might be contained. But since I pour it out into a ramekin, I will see a shell before I chomp on it.
 
Gotta admit, I'm not crazy about it. I think it would be tasty if mixed into a muffin! Not that I'm going to great effort to try that. If I have a packet of Martha White Muffin Mix, I might add some. Or buy some of the Apple Cinnamon flavor, if Martha makes that. OH! Or I could get some instant oatmeal, and add it to that! Yeah. I'll find a use for Hick's Auction Mix. 
 
I don't recall the details, but he said he has a lot of bags of it, over in the BARn.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not one to consume any food where no person or company is taking credit for it's production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part is actually out of frame at the bottom. (Heh, heh! I said BOTTOM!) It's a seal from the USDA. Who wouldn't trust the government...

      Delete
    2. Government stamp? It's probably left over out of date Army rations. From World War 2.

      Delete
    3. No. But that reminds me of a TV show The Pony and I saw, about guys who sampled old expired food. One was an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) from one of the wars. I think they classified it as acceptable. But keep in mind, they also ate dry cereal after picking out weevils.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if it's worthy of the effort but you could put it on a cookie sheet and throw it in the oven to see if that helps bring back the crunch. Just a thought. I'm so picky about my trail mix that I buy the stuff I like and create my own. I like dried cherries (do not like figs), and sesame chips, cashews, almonds, virginia peanuts, something sweet like an M&M or chocolate covered raisins. Yum. Granted, if mine lost its crunch, I'd have to pick out all that candy and stuff before throwing into the oven. I didn't say it was healthy. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll try putting it in the oven! I've had a version with sesame sticks and M&Ms. It's pretty good.

      Delete
  3. It looks okay but you can keep the papaya. I wonder if it has gone soft from age or if it wasn't dried as long as what you are used to. anyway, Free Food! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just a moist version. I WILL find a way to eat it, because it's FREE!

      Delete
  4. Roast it. That would kill any crawlers. Oh heck, toss it! Okay Hick would probably toss it in a salad. I meant to the squirrels. I am certain this does not compare to your Chex Mix Delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems fine, except for the texture. Now I want some Chex Mix! We had a shortage this year, without enough left for OURSELVES! I have the raw materials, but I'm dragging my feet on the 2.5 hours it will take to make a batch.

      Delete