Monday, February 25, 2019

When It Comes to His Coke Collection, Hick is Jaded

Hick is proud of his latest acquisition to put in the loft of his BARn with his Coke collection. He said he's been looking a long time for it. I believe him. I never knew such a thing existed.


According to Hick, this set is made of JADE. My sister the ex-mayor's wife and I were skeptical. JADE? Wouldn't that make it worth a fortune? Apparently so. Because when interrogated questioned further, several days later, Hick recanted, and said it was made of JADEITE. That's a little different.

Anyhoo... Hick knows a guy who has a set, and paid $70 for it. Hick bought his at the auction for $23. He found the big item, the crock, on eBay for $59 by itself. So he thinks he got a bargain. I tend to agree with Hick!!! You can mark your calendars.

I think that crock is actually called a cookie jar, but Hick told me it was a crock. The other two are a creamer and a covered sugar bowl.

You never know what such items will sell for. I looked for less than five minutes, and saw the creamer listed on eBay as a "Coca Cola Green Jadeite Milk Glass Spout Handled Cup" for $79.19. Which doesn't mean it's WORTH that much, or that it will even sell for that much.

The sugar bowl is also listed as a "covered box/salt box/jewelry box", but the cookie jar is always called a cookie jar.

Hick has no plans to sell his set. It has become part of his hoard. But he does like to think how much more it's worth than what he paid for it.

12 comments:

  1. That man of yours hit a Jadeite mine with that find. Those really are collectibles. What sort of things do you collect, besides winning lottery tickets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's pennies. And the occasional found pony. I have a collection of the Trail of Painted Pony figurines that my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel gives me for Christmas every year. They're sitting on top of the piano. In fact, I'm about to need a new piano to accommodate them!

      Delete
    2. Just add a shelf above the piano. No one needs two pianos. Well, maybe Liberace, and he's in heaven with as many pianos as he wants.

      Delete
    3. Actually...we already HAVE two pianos! The one in the hallway by the boys' rooms, from my mom's house, with all the Painted Ponies atop. And the one in the basement, by the pool table, that came from my grandma's house. She had originally gotten it from my old elementary school when they tore it down!

      Strangely enough, nobody plays the piano except Genius. Unless you count my basic melody and chords.

      Delete
  2. I assume Hick has a very good grip on the value of coke memorabilia. My guess is that the green is an unusual color for coke and he got a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all his grips, this is one of the best. He's pretty good with cars and construction stuff, too.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Hick's coke collection. The jade in particular is very nice. I'd definitely use the cookie jar, as a cookie jar of course.
    I have only a couple of coke items, a small rectangular metal tray which I coated with clear varnish because it was getting scraped and faded, and a mirror, in new condition apart from the dust. I paid $5 for the mirror when I bought it and have seen them since in secondhand shops here, cracked and scratched for over $30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick would envy your mirror. He has an assortment of trays. He also has a lot of beer trays, various brands.

      Delete
    2. I'll take photos, which may or may bot turn out well, and post them.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'd like to show Hick your mirror, for sure!

      Delete
  4. I have an old metal sign that used to be on the side of a gas station. I have never measured it, but I would say it is about 4' tall. It is gracing the front porch. I like Hick's find. I would use the cookie jar for cookies, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use it for cookies. If somebody else made the cookies!

      Delete