Saturday, December 16, 2017

And the Feat Goes On

Hick is still working on his Freight Container Garage. It's all under roof now. A couple days ago, he installed the garage door. It's an old one he had from somewhere, with plans to use it eventually. The big one will have to wait, since Hick has already gone over budget.


There was a minor glitch with this garage door, as Hick couldn't get it to work right. He said the door went up, but he had to put a lot of effort into it. He adjusted the spring several times, then drove the Gator over to the house to look at our garage door springs there.

"This spring is a totally different shape. But it should work the same way. I'll go wind it tighter. Again. See if that works."

"NO! It might snap and kill you!"

"It's not gonna kill me, Val. It's wrapped. The most it will do is startle me if it snaps."

"Well...go get a new spring. Quit messing with it."

"It'll be fine, Val. I don't need to buy a spring."

You know...Hick was right. He got that problem worked out by the end of the day. Turns out he had the spring on BACKWARDS!

He's been putting insulation in the ceiling, I think. Or something on the walls, to block the drafts. That Freight Container Garage is coming right along.


As you can see, Hick is already using it as a garage for his Gator. When he's over there. He usually parks the Gator behind his 1980 Olds Toronado if he's in the house. I hope (formerly Puppy) Jack doesn't hop in it and take a poop!


That's the actual side of the freight container. Hick might be planning to put a door in one side, to go from the container to the garage. And then he's got his New Holland tractor sitting in there, too, for lifting assorted sons up to work the high beams.


There's his car-lifting thingamabob that he had to have. I guess he's going to become a Goober and run a little garage like down in Mayberry. NO gas pumps, though. I'm drawing the line! Only Thursday, I called to tell Hick I was headed to town, and on the way out, I met his buddy, Buddy, driving a dump truck full of gravel. The pile of gravel which I noticed beside the Freight Container Garage when I returned. This might turn out to be like that Winchester house. Not because Hick is afraid of spirits, but because he seems to be afraid of finishing anything.


It sure looks different from when he was just putting the floor down.

12 comments:

  1. The progress is amazing. Ha ha on the spring being fitted backwards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm surprised he told me! Now he'll never hear the end of it.

      Delete
  2. I'm quite impressed with Hick's building skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I am impressed with Hick's building skills, and not much impresses ME. He's self-taught. His trade school skills were automotive.

      Delete
  3. What on earth is he building out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A huge garage, with a car lifter, and storage on both sides in the form of freight containers. I imagine it will fill with his junk soon enough.

      Delete
  4. That is coming along so very good, I am impressed with the progress Hick is making, I am glad that he turned that spring around rather than just twisting it tighter, those things make quite a racket when they pop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick DID say that if it killed him, it would be from a heart attack when he heard it, not because a fragment decapitated him.

      Delete
  5. The Winchester house is a great analogy for Hick's building things (or finishing anything--how's your light switch working?)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Lady Winchester would have been safe from haunting if she moved in here. The projects are never finished, and we have something else that has established haunting rights.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what an undertaking! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick is definitely a man with a vision. He usually carries out most of it.

      Delete