Thursday, December 7, 2017

A Jack, a Hick, and a Back Walk Out of a Freight Container Garage

Hick has been feverishly working on his Freight Container Garage this week. And I DO mean feverishly. He seems to have come down with a virus, and is stuffed up and nasally and spewing illness all willy-nilly over my side of the bed while hooked up to his breather overnight. That hasn't stopped him from putting the metal roof on his Freight Container Garage, though.

HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) has been helping him from mid-morning into the afternoon. His boss has been gone all week, so Hick is giving him a side job. Mostly a top job, as HOS is the one to climb up on the roof and screw down the metal, while Hick feeds it up to him as he needs it. I tried to take a picture of the progress last evening when I took the trash dumpster to the end of the driveway.


There it is, mostly done except for the end on the left, as viewed from the driveway, through the stand of trees and across the sinkhole. I even captured Hick in a gray hoodie, leaning over the trailer that the remaining roof pieces are stacked on.

Hick said he saw me taking a picture (what is he, anyway, some kind of nosy spy?) of his roof. I said he should send me a better one, and he said he hadn't taken any pictures! Poppycock! When I came back from town, I saw that they had the other side of the roof finished, and I was sure Hick would have been documenting his progress. We'll see if he sends me one before this goes to press! He did, however, go over in the dusk and take one on his way to Lowe's for more screws to sink into this money pit.


It's here! New photo of the nearly-completed roof, with HOS up top. Don't mind that junk in the background towards the BARn. That's the old pickup Hick is going to put inside this garage for rebuilding. Also his other trailer, still hooked to the John Deere tractor from the hayride/weenie roast. And some pallet lumber like he used to build the shower for the solar car team a couple summers ago. Hick wastes nothing.


Last week, HOS had to go to work, and Hick was putting up the end walls and tin alone. That's when he thought Jack took his hammer. Actually, he thought it evaporated, and I was the one who thought Jack took it. Even though it later turned out that Hick had hung it on a different board than what he first thought. But I digress...I told that story elsewhere.

Anyhoo...Hick had been working alone all day, and was closing up the Freight Container part where he stores his tools, and stepped down wrong as he made his exit.

See that first (and only) step? It's a doozy.


"I stepped down out of the freight container, and slipped on the gravel. I fell flat on my back. I was laying there a minute, and your dog came over. He walked up between my feet, and climbed up on my belly, and looked me in the face. I really think he was just making sure I was all right."

"That. Or hoping you had another bacon sandwich like the one he ate off the Gator seat."

Yeah. He's a pretty loyal little dog, our Jack.


11 comments:

  1. I vote he was checking to see Hick was OK. When did Puppy Jack become just Jack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Puppy Jack started humping the boy cat after his evening snack, I contemplated re-naming him Adolescent Jack, but it just didn't roll off my fingertips the same way.

      Humpy Jack might have been more appropriate, but since I have grown to love this odd little canine, I did not want to shame him.

      Delete
  2. After my own couple of unexpected falls, (are they ever EXpected?) I know just how Hick felt lying there for a moment. I'm glad he's okay. He is okay, right? So sweet of Jack to check on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hick is okay. He had some padding to absorb the fall. Jack likes Hick a lot, even though I'm not sure the affection is returned in equal measure.

      Delete
  3. I vote for the fallen bacon sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make that TWO votes!!

      Delete
    2. Maybe Jack was checking Hick's lips to see if there was any bacon flavor lingering, so he could chew them off the would-be corpse...

      Delete
  4. That little Jack!
    I read so fast i thought you wrote hick saw me taking a picture off his roof. I thought, Holy...well you don't want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's highly likely that I could have typed OFF instead of OF. I'm a lax proofreader sometimes.

      Jack just got blamed (by Hick) for another unpleasant event this morning. More on that story in future days.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yeah, and I want to complain to the city council about the zoning. And possibly start a campaign to have the mayor recalled.

      Delete