Sunday, December 17, 2017

Val Solves the Case of the Disappearing Parachuter

A few weeks ago, I was standing in line at Save A Lot, and out the big front window I saw a parachute. Not a round kind of parachute, like a WWII paratrooper might use, or the shape of one of those giant space capsule ocean-landing parachutes. This one was a long kind of parachute. The kind that people use to maneuver around more easily.

I kept watching, wondering where that parachute was going to land. There's an old man-made lake bed that's been converted to a drag strip. I figured that would be the most logical place, but I couldn't figure out why someone would want to jump here. When I got to the gas station chicken store that day, the cranky clerk said that she'd seen it, too. So I wasn't hallucinating, even though I never saw that parachute descend.

Today, I was in line at Orb K when I saw that same style of parachute again. A long chute, multicolored. I got my phone ready to take a picture, but that guy dropped below the roof over the gas pumps. When I went out the door, I stuffed my scratchers in my armpit, and used both hands to get that camera ready, and zoom in. From this vantage point, I could see the jumper again, up above the gas pump roof. I took a picture, then got out of the way of the door and walked back to T-Hoe, keeping an eye out for when that jumper landed. Again, I didn't see him. I guessed that maybe he had descended while I was walking, and was now on the ground over in the dry lake bed, way past the Save A Lot plaza across the street.

Eager to see what my picture looked like, I opened up my phone and saw a picture of the parking lot blacktop. Darn that delay on my phone camera! No wonder I take a picture of Jack, and only have an empty field when I go to look at it.

Anyhoo...I drove on home, after a short affirmation about how I really DID see that parachute. I wasn't imagining it. I'd seen a man opening his car door looking up at it, too. Imagine my joy at rounding a sharp curve by the sheep field, the one just before the curve where I saw the pheasant, and noticed that parachuter in the sky above the sheep field. Now bereft of sheep and watchdog. I pulled off at the sheep gate to get a proper picture.


Funny how he was way higher than I saw him in town. Maybe there was another parachuter. Maybe a plane was dropping them off at intervals, though I hadn't seen a plane at all.


Closer he came. I could see the color of his parachute. He even waved at me. And then I saw the solution to my parachute mystery.


Zoom in, my blogfriends! Zoom in! He has a fan kind of contraption on that parachute! He's blowing himself across the sky all willy-nilly as he takes a whim.

No wonder I never saw him come down. He's probably flying to his house, wherever that may be. Not landing behind the Save A Lot like a common parachuter.

12 comments:

  1. If there was a head wind, that contraption would never get him home. Looks like fun though, not that I'd ever try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he had his phone with him, and took a picture of ME!

      Delete
  2. Saw one of those off the balcony when we were in Florida. Looked pretty risky to me. But so did the sail equipped surf board in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are adrenaline junkies. I'm just a recliner junkie.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had the nerve, and skill, to try out this thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could imagine you on it. Didn't you ride a tram thingy that was higher than that? As for the skill...well...you might go around in circles for a while until you got the hang of it. But I'd still take your picture.

      Delete
  4. I noticed the fan in the second photo, but thought it was some kind of chair harness. What a great way to get around :) Not for me of course, but other people whose get up and go hasn't already got up and left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everybody did it, there would have to be some kind of air traffic rules!

      Delete
  5. $2750 and you can have your own parasailing vehicle.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/151127980341?chn=ps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could get it for Hick! It's cheaper than the Freight Container Garage he's building, and it might mean that he will never build anything again. Because it's so much fun to ride, of course. Not because it could lead to him being incapacitated.

      Delete