Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Gas and Dash

Today, in Val's continuing series on breaches of convenience store etiquette...

What is it with some people? They are so entitled that a convenience store springs up at a location just to serve THEM! Their own personal convenience store! "I can see a line. But lines are for thee, not for me!"

Tuesday, I filled my 44 oz cup (they're kind of fragile if you have powerful thumbs, you know) with Diet Coke, and went to stand in line behind a lady cashing in a $1 scratcher winner (amateur!), in the paying-for line on the aisle between the chicken counter and the fifths of whiskey. I think they have other spirits, but all I ever see is about 20 varieties of whiskey, none of them being Farmer H's preferred brand of Wild Turkey.

As I walked up to the $1 Lady's back, I noticed a short guy at the side of the counter, over by the door. I assumed he was checking his draw ticket. They have a machine there where you can scan them. I also saw a tall bald man standing back, between $1 Lady and Short Guy. I knew he had been there before me. He was chatting with Lady Owner, who was over by the ice cooler. It's really a pretty small store.

$1 Lady got more tickets. Paid for her coffee, stepped back, and said, "Oh, I'm afraid I took this gentleman's turn." How convenient, to acknowledge it after her transaction was complete.

Man Owner looked at me. I looked at Tall Bald Man and nodded my head. "He was here first."

"Oh, you go right ahead!"

So I did. I stepped up to the counter, and held out my winning scratcher. Short Guy was now talking to Lady Owner, while Tall Bald Man waited in line behind me. Out of the blue, as Man Owner was stapling my winning receipt to the ticket, Short Guy rushed up, tossed some bills on the counter, and said, "I had $32." Then he rushed out the door.

Man Owner said, "Oh, the diesel?" Because he also has to keep track of the pumps while ringing up people. You'd think that after a lifetime of doing this, it would come easier. But he's always uneasy, and kind of slow, and sometimes mistakey. He's a really nice guy, though.

As Short Guy was busy not letting the door hit him on the rumpus, he barked over his shoulder, "Yeah."

I guess the fact that he paid at all is something he needs to be patted on the back for, because at the Casey's today, a guy drove off, after sending his two women inside to buy something, AND they denied they were with him, and even verbally abused one of the four clerks standing around the door. I got there just as they were going out, and heard the aftermath. I'm pretty sure they got a license plate or partial, because the manager was saying, "We'll get him next time."

At this moment, $1 Lady chose to ask, ""Ma'am, do you keep this end?" It was her red tickets for the weekly gas drawing. I don't know why she was asking ME! I told her I didn't know. So she started asking Man Owner. He was methodically ringing up my purchases and taking off the winnings. "Oh, I guess he's busy now..."

A lady behind me told $1 Lady how to enter her tickets into a cardboard box. THEN $1 Lady started asking, "Excuse me, did somebody win the drawing this week?"

I swear, people these days don't know how to WAIT IN A GOSH DARN LINE!

18 comments:

  1. Queuing is not a custom in some countries. Maybe some states also do not recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that Hick is officially retired, I should put him back to work on my proposed handbasket factory.

      Delete
  2. You should have lived in Mexico and had the experience at grocery stores or street markets! No queuing at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOO! What is it, survival of the rudest?

      Delete
  3. Lines are for everyone except the chosen few. Didn't you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With no lines, how will the 11:00 a.m. alcoholics know who to ask for their spare change?

      Delete
  4. I'm probably remiss in my convenience store etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll do well if your next trip is to Mexico, I guess.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lot of commotion for the poor guy. Wouldn't want his job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I doubt he even gets paid! His wife runs the show. At least I didn't spill 40 oz of my 44 oz Diet Coke on his counter this time.

      Delete
  6. I'd probably be one of those talking in line...OK I know that I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you would.

      Thing is...if the Short Guy had stayed at the counter, rather than backing off to talk to the Lady Owner when the Tall Bald Man was done, I would have nodded at him as well, because I would have known he must have been waiting to pay.

      Delete
  7. maybe we should give line WAITING lessons instead of line DANCING lessons. I don't mind letting someone go ahead of me if they're in a hurry, or if they have only one or two things and I have a basket full, bit I HATE when they just push ahead like it is their right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Somebody needs to write some songs to go with Line Waiting, and they can play them in convenience stores to jog people's memory.

      Delete
    2. ♪♪ Oh, I used to wait in line,
      Now I crowd in & that's just fine...♪♪

      Delete
    3. Thank you for being SOMEBODY! But I think your song is teaching the wrong lesson!

      Delete
  8. Is it me, or are people behaving this way more than they used to? I have a camper staying here for an indefinite period of time .... it may become more defined if I have many more encounters with him .... Anyway, last week as I was counting picnic tables and readying them for my big weekend, it came to my attention that he had 2 picnic tables on his son's site. He pays the rent for both sites, since he owns the company and his son works for him. I know this, because he has told me several times. I secretly call him the Trumpster. I removed the 6 seater picnic table and put it in the tent area for the 200 tenters coming in. I left a 4 seater table.
    Well, he came storming into the office/store and demanded to know why my husband took HIS table. First thing I did was to establish that said table was not HIS, but did indeed, belong to me. Next I corrected his assumption that the taker of the table was my husband. I took the table. He demanded it back, because his son is big (fat, actually) and when his son and his nephew sit on the same side the table tips. "Well, have them sit on opposite sides". He was just so rude and demanding, with a side of entitlement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll probably stop by the gas station chicken store one of these days. They have picnic tables outside. I'm hoping the legs are set in the blacktop. I've never noticed the tables to move. Or be stolen.

      Delete