Sunday, August 27, 2017

Gee, My House Smells Terrific

I don't mean to brag. Sure, I brag all the time, and I mean it. No inadvertent bragging for me. But this time, I'm just stating a fact. My house smells terrific. I am 55 minutes into a batch of Chex Mix. It takes two hours. You can't cheat. One of my old work colleagues tried that, even though I had given her my mom's special recipe, and strict instructions. Good thing that little boy in Chinatown didn't sell her a mogwai, because Backroads would be overrun with Gremlins now. I guess, being a math teacher, it made sense to her that two hours at 250 would equate to one hour at 500. No. It doesn't.

Anyhoo...this batch is just for Hick. And me, of course. The cook gets a share. I made some earlier, for The Pony, and we had a goodly portion. But now it's in our blood. Usually, the Chex Mix is given as a gift. But now we are greedy. Hick received a bottle of Wild Turkey as a going-away gift from a work colleague. And since our stash of Chex was down to almonds and Cheerios, I offered to make a new batch. Because I assume that when Hick sits down to watch his American Pickers show, a red solo cup of Wild Turkey and Diet Coke at his elbow, he'd like a salty treat to go with it. I'd even let him use a real glass, by cracky! Hick has worked hard all his life. No need to sell him short on the beverage container.

The smell of Chex Mix roasting in the oven is delectable. It makes me think of Christmas, because that's prime Chex Mix season. Four or five batches, to give away. So every time I walk from room to room, and catch a whiff of that aroma, I immediately run through my mind the gifts that need wrapping, and the last-minute items I have yet to obtain. Except now, it's August. So I'm still ahead on the Christmas shopping.

The thing I miss most about making Chex Mix is the presence of my little buddy, The Pony. His absence makes my heart grow brokener. Oh, The Pony didn't actually help me make the Chex Mix. Let's not forget that he doesn't really care about helping people. But every 15 minutes, I'd yell, "Stirring time!" and I'd hear The Pony trotting up the basement steps to join me around the kitchen cutting block.


Stirring is a regulated process. First the big roasting pan comes off the top oven rack. Using two serving spoons, I dig down deep and lift the bottom morsels to the top, to breathe and roast, while the top morsels get a rest on the bottom. Then the roaster goes back in, and the two metal 9 x 13 cake pans get set side-by-side, so the overflow from one can flow into the other during stirring.

The Pony would stand by to pounce on the pieces that flipped out of the pan onto the cutting block. Sure they were hot. Didn't bother The Pony. Chex were his favorites, but he'd also devour the Cheerios and pretzels. This was before I caved under pressure from my sister the ex-mayor's wife, and her daughter my niece, and The Pony, and Hick...and started including Bugles. I confess that when The Pony was here, I was a bit reckless in my stirring. Today, only a couple of pretzels have fallen out.

Speaking of The Pony...he sent me a text the other day about this semester's books, and he added, "I'm eating a turkey, pepper jack, ketchup, and mustard sandwich now." I replied that I was sitting in T-Hoe in the garage, responding to his text, and the dogs were waiting for their cat kibble on the porch. Through the garage door, they looked puzzled. Due to the protective properties of the new metal garage roof (wonder if I could get myself a hat made out of that), the rest of The Pony's message was delayed.


"It's currently shaped like Oklahoma."

You can take The Pony out of Missouri, but you can't take the nerd out of The Pony.

15 comments:

  1. A sandwich shaped like Oklahoma? It's a miracle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly Jesus on a grilled cheese sandwich, but it's pretty artistic for The Pony.

      https://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/people-who-found-jesus-in-their-food?utm_term=.wkogGQDwq#.bxqW4wxGY

      Delete
  2. You are going to have to get the Pony to practice eating his sandwiches into the shape of Missouri now, just so's he remembers where he belongs...the Chex Mix sounds good Val, I am proud you are sharing with Hick and allowing him to use the good red solo glassware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Pony shouldn't forget his roots.

      Hick has sworn off the Wild Turkey after two nights of nightcaps. He says he can't sleep. Though he was sawing a forest full of logs when I went to bed.

      Delete
  3. How is the girl situation? I'm sure there are a bunch of nerdy girls to choose from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony is surrounded by girl FRIENDS. His bestie joined a sorority and moved into their house, so he's hanging with a girl in the apartment across the hall this semester. Let the record show that she likes the same Chex Mix pieces as The Pony, and they are down to only Cheerios now. Another gal in his stable lives in the same complex, different building.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I forgot. Is the Chex Mix to celebrate Hick's retire--tee hee-ment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.

      3-2-1 and HE'S HOME ALL DAY EVERY DAY.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of this mix but Mrs. Chatterbox loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am providing the recipe so she can make herself a batch, and you can watch her eat it!

      Delete
  6. Chex Mix?? What are the ingredients and how do you prepare it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you please give us your recipe?

      Delete
    2. Let the record show that I did not ask either of you to ask for the recipe! But now that you have, I don't have to write a post for tomorrow!

      It's up right now, for Monday.

      Delete
  7. My mother-in-law was a big fan of the chex mix. When she was still young (in her 60's) she volunteered at the "old folks home" and pushed the juice cart. She knew every resident and she would make small gifts for each of them at Christmas. She liked to knit and one year she made them all some slippers. Not wanting to duplicate the previous year's gift, she decided to make a batch of Chex mix and use up some of her International Foods coffee cans that she saved for years, as containers. She was a bi saver of all things (I guess her son gets his hoarding gene quite honestly). She had coupons for Chex cereal. Remember when Chex tied to make some sweetened cereals? That is what the coupons were for and that is what she used, because they were also on sale. Then there was the years she made sweet pickles out of dill pickles ....... also on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost afraid to ask what bargain items she used to make the slippers!

      Delete