Sunday, August 20, 2017

Like Catching Santa in the Act

Thursday, I headed to town for bill-mailing, and to fill T-Hoe up with gas before the eclipse crowd hit town. About halfway there, I decided that I had time to stop by the cemetery. I'd planned to go on Monday, but Mom was getting a new neighbor nearby, so I did not.

I passed by the hole-in-the-wall bar noted for its delicious steaks, and flipped on T-Hoe's right-turn signal for the cemetery. I put the radio on Prime Country. Some song I didn't know went off, and Dolly Parton and Vince Gill started singing "I Will Always Love You." Uh huh. Dolly wrote that song, you know, even though Whitney Houston made the most money off of it. Several million of that went into Dolly's pocket as the writer, too. Anyhoo...Mom and I never had any association with that song, but I'm pretty sure I will always love her, and she will always love me.

I just found that to be a pleasant coincidence. I really doesn't pertain to my subject today, except, perhaps, in a roundabout way.

On to the post office I went, to mail my bill. Of course I had my eyes glued to the pavement, looking for random pennies from heaven. Didn't find one. I stopped by Waterside Mart for a scratch-off ticket. Again, no penny. Most days, I DON'T find pennies, you know. But since I'd had that four-day streak last week (FIVE if you count dimes!) of finding a penny each day, I'm still on the lookout.

I pulled into Casey's to get T-Hoe's gas. Right up to the same pump I was at last time, when I found a penny there. I didn't pick that pump for that reason, but because it's the most convenient one, and it was available. But you can bet that as I opened the door and stepped down, I was thinking about the penny I found last time.

CLINK!

A lady had come out of Casey's and climbed into her black SUV that she'd parked parallel to their sidewalk. She was putting stuff in her purse, and had apparently dropped a coin! She glanced at the ground fleetingly, then closed her door and drove off.

After pumping my gas, I took a route to the door that put me near where I heard the CLINK! I found a QUARTER on the lot! You can bet I picked it up, but I didn't take a picture, because it had rolled to the middle of the parking lot, and also, there was a man standing down by my sidewalk ramp with a big dog on a leash, and I didn't want to look like a weirdo. Oh, I didn't mind bending over and exposing my ample rumpus to him. But I wasn't going to make it a photo opportunity. So for all of you Geniuses who say, "Pics or it didn't happen," you'll have to take my word for it.

I guess that counts, right? As pennies from heaven? It was 25 pennies condensed into one coin, that fell as I was thinking about pennies from heaven. So I'm claiming it. Yeah, maybe I'm stretching it. But those pennies have to get there somehow! They don't actually fall out of the clouds, you know!

It's like catching Santa in the act, and not having a camera.
______________________________________________________________________

BUT WAIT! There's more!

TODAY, I went to town for my 44 oz Diet Coke and scratchers. First stop was Orb K. I gathered up my $20 winner and climbed down from T-Hoe. I don't know where all those eclipse people are, but they were not at Orb K around noon. I got my favorite parking spot, right by the handicap striped walkway, where that sewer grate has the lid screwed in sideways. Where I previously found a couple of pennies. None there today.

BUT WAIT!


Good thing Val is thorough in her penny search. This one was by T-Hoe's back tire! Good thing I have an awkward way of getting out of the car. I was standing almost on the grate as I snapped this.


I fear that an open letter may be in need, to the manager of Orb K, concerning why nobody ever hoses off their parking lot. It's getting pretty hard to spot pennies from heaven, like this 2006 Abe, (whose date has no significance for me), with all this gunk marring the blacktop.

I must remain ever-vigilant in my search.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Val, We actually found another penny today, it was lying face down in the middle of the driving lane in front of Wally World, I'm not sure if a driving lane Wally World penny counts as a parking lot penny or not ;)

    As for finding the quarter I agree that it is twenty five pennies at once for you and then one more, you are now twenty six ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can afford not to fake-buy my next fake book!

      Delete
  2. You have time, and isn't retirement almost here for Hick? You could volunteer to hose off the gas station lots. It would give you time away from your PITA and could help you spot the pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hows about I volunteer HICK to hose off the gas station lots? He can bring those coins home to me. OR ELSE!

      Delete
  3. You know what they say, "A penny saved is a waste of time." Of course that happened since the penny is more or less worthless now. Maybe it's a sign. A sign that you've got good eyesight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even wearing my glasses! I've found 27 pennies this year. Plus a couple of dimes, and a quarter, and two one-dollar bills.

      Those people who go around with metal detectors could just rent ME!

      Delete
  4. woo-hoo! 26 pennies in one day. You could stop looking for three weeks and still be ahead by five pennies. Of course if you're anything like me, you won't stop looking, ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've got a habit now. I'm always on the lookout for pennies, wherever I go.

      Delete
  5. Thanks to inflation, if you bury a penny for a hundred years, when you dig it up it will have DOUBLED in value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better yet, I could rent out my field to those penny-buriers, and harvest a bumper crop. Good luck to them catching me and prosecuting me in a hundred years!

      Delete
  6. Better to be a penny snatcher than a penny pincher. Those songs and pennies are no coincidences, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the Monkees sang..."I'm a Believer!"

      I believe things like this come to everyone, but some are not open to receiving the signs. Or their timing is off, putting them not quite at the right place at the right time. Shh... Don't tell anyone. I don't want them to think I'm a weirdo.

      Delete
  7. I found 5 quarters, one dime and two pennies when I cleaned the laundry room last week. Because of you I found myself walking around looking at each step I take for coins. I have been walking into things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DISCLAIMER: Val is not responsible for injuries sustained by people walking around looking for pennies!

      You are going to be a laundryroomillionaire before I make pennyillionaire!

      Delete